Inside the obscure FBI unit that does the NSA's dirty work

[Permalink]

Sorry, don’t want to have to sign up to one more “free” service to read only one article.

3 Likes

Let them eat end-to-end encryption. Law abiding people wouldn’t have to do this if the FBI/NSA didn’t break the contract. Now they can expect no cooperation. The telcos can been broken up into a billion companies for all I care. It will be good for the market.

4 Likes

Safari has this great feature called the “Develop” menu that allows you to “View source” code behind HTML elements on a web page… and select / delete the annoying ones, like the floaty “please subscribe to our flawed business model” popups … this is how I zap the login requests for theOnion.com and for ForeignPolicy.com

2 Likes

Or send 'em to the loopback address via the hosts file (as I once again bemoan the loss of Privoxy).

1 Like

Paywall says “No.”

1 Like

But I use Firefox; is there a solution for that browser? And I’m not sure I’d know what to do even if there was; I get anxious when I see words like “view source” and “codes”.

Hitting the escape key before the page finishes loading also works, but you have to time it just right.

1 Like

The Firefox extension NoScript should by default keep that popup away - I know its Chrome cousin does. Also useful for getting past many other paywalls and avoiding untrusted javascript, too.

Downsides: A bit of a learning curve and some websites may not work as expected without some tweaks.

1 Like

everyone is entitled to their specific opinion. that being said, i don’t know that the solution is always to break up large companies. costs are incurred when that happens. it’s going to have to be by a case to case basis.

these people have cost many american taxpayers, many guests of our nation, many everyday people more than is even vaguely considered appropriate. i understand the frustration and anger. i myself have to work it off sometimes. i will never bribe an official unless it’s in a role playing game or (iff) a computer simulation. reality (and iff) and alternate reality are both too precious for that type of innane behavior. childish of a bully, rude of an adult, will not be my memory of life.

Don’t think about that too much. Just get rid of them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.