Institute for the Future forecasted Amazon's drone delivery in 2012

[Permalink]

For what itā€™s worth, I am assuming that Amazonā€™s announcement is pure vaporware for publicity buzz. I canā€™t imagine that theyā€™d get either FAA approval or insurance coverage for this idea much before 2025, if that soon.

Iā€™m sure once Amazon starts actually doing this dozens of people who hold every imaginable patent on this will suddenly start appearing from the woodwork.

This is one of those problems that wasnā€™t hard to imagine, but is very difficult to actually implement, which makes it a potential minefield for patent issues.

Uhā€¦ I had this very same idea about five or six years ago. I came up with it after smoking A LOT of weed. My idea involved mini zeppelins instead of drones, because zeppelins are cooler.

3 Likes

Lighter-than-air craft are also less likely to hurt someone should they suffer a mechanical failure, unless they suffer catastrophic envelope failure. And even then, the Hindenburg actually descended fairly slowlyā€¦

Unfortunately, due to the needed bulk, they tend to fly slowly too. On the other hand, they might be more fuel efficient. On the other other hand, people are still a bit paranoid about hydrogen, and thereā€™s less helium available than Iā€™d like.

A) Amazon has not done a drone delivery, and pretty obviously wonā€™t for quite a while.

B) Vernor Vinge wrote a story ā€œfast times at fairmont highā€ with drone delivery predicted for 2020 it won a Hugo in 2002, so probably written in 2001 or earlier. I should think that a ā€˜futurist think tankā€™ would be stuffed with people familiar with his writing.

2 Likes

Post on boing boing dec 2012 with a ā€œworkingā€ drone delivery system.

So, it took you four days to remember that?

No, it took me five days to get around to posting it.

1 Like

The point is that this artifact was specifically about Amazon having such a service.

Years ago part of my job was replying to constituent letters proposing ā€œinnovativeā€ transport solutions to problems that usually didnā€™t exist - micro-pod-trams; ubiqutious monorails; nuclear bus-train hybrids etc that folks would send to their local politicians. Our benchmark was the long hoped-for cable-drawn zeppelin system, but to no avail.

My question is, ā€œdid you predict the future , or create it?ā€

Institute for the Future must address this frequently, right? Iā€™ve often wondered how many inventions are inspired by sic-fi; and later we look back and say ā€œGee, so-and-so was really prescientā€.

Man, nothing screams THE FUTAUAR likeā€¦ icons on a background.

That is some next-level UI there.

(sits in the corner, rocking back and forth, weeping uncontrollably)

2 Likes

I, for one, welcome the Nintendo Phone, where signal strength is measured in triforce.

Even better, the buttons look like last generation iOS ā€“ maybe theyā€™ll become retro or something in the future.

Also, Iā€™m glad to see the future still has Evernote. Thatā€™s encouraging.

One on-target prediction is nice, but what matters is the ability to accurately predict over a large number of situations. Itā€™s not too hard to find some prognosticator who can predict the stock market performance for a single day; whatā€™s really hard is to find someone who can do day in and day out for a year.

Any sense of how accurate the IFTF is overall, say over 1000 predictions? Thatā€™s a statistic that will prove their ability one way or the other.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious if this is a case of the Institute for the Future predicting something, or if itā€™s a case of an idea floating around the ā€œcollective unconsciousā€ as it wereā€¦ Another example most of us are probably familiar withā€“Star Trek ā€œpredictingā€ the form factor of Apple Devices. Iā€™m not sure we can see that as a case of predicting as much as Star Trek was creating what weā€™d imagine a future would look like, and designers at Apple having those ideas floating around in their heads already when they started to think of designs for their products. So, itā€™s kind of a chicken and an egg thing, right?

I really should read through all the comments before I comment, because I just said this very same thing, essentially! :wink:

ā€œIt is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.ā€

attibuted to Mark Twain (among many others)

http://www.twainquotes.com/Prophecy.html

1 Like