Islamic State releases video of journalist Steven Sotloff's beheading

Bin Laden said his plan was to get the US to come to the Middle East and bankrupt us, and Dubya danced for Bin Laden like a puppet on a string by invading.

Now ISIS is demanding that we come back into Iraq. They have a whole national stockpile of explosives to turn into IEDs, so if we show up there would be constant carnage. They are using VBIEDs these days (Very Big IEDs) containing multiple tons of explosives, and packing captured armored vehicles with explosives. When these things go off, you can see the shockwave in the air (not dust on the ground) going hundreds of yards.

Of course, the GOP wants to go right back to giving the terrorists what they want. John McCain seems to be keeping quiet, because until a few months ago he said we should be arming ISIS.

4 Likes

I love that the GFC was partly Bin Laden’s doing. The guy was a piece of shit, but he was sharp as a tack.

It depends on their intentions. If their goal is to align all muslim people against the west, and to provoke a huge war, they are going about it the right way.

1 Like

Declaring other people to be, essentially, totally alien to us is half a step away from putting them into the “non-human” category, which is how this kind of mess gets started to begin with.

8 Likes

Thank you for using an image that is not a still from the video of him being killed.

3 Likes

If it’s really “all the time” then I’d love some links to read. Though links from obviously biased “sources” like Glenn Beck will be laughed at.

I don’t think that is fair. It doesn’t make them “non-human” to acknowledge differences. Actually IGNORING the fact that their culture is so foreign to us is what got us in this mess. Western thinking of “getting rid of an oppressive dictator, setup elections and democracy, and peace and prosperity will happen” was a naive dream ignorant of the realities of the region. American may have factions not thrilled with one another, Catholics vs fundamentalist Christians, various races not getting along, Trekkers vs Star Wars fans, etc. But we very rarely kill one another over it. When something happens to us, like Pearl Harbor or 9/11, we band together as Americans. We have a national identity.

There is a reason most governments in the middle east are dictators and monarchies - they require a strong centralized power to keep the various factions in line. These factions don’t put their country first, they put their religion and regional allegiances first. The reason why we tolerated people like Mubarak was because he kept his country stable and promised not to attack Israel.

Of course not everyone over there is a beheading fundamentalist. But those are the people who we are/were/need to address with out PC sugar coating them as “misunderstood”. People are holding their children saying they would be proud if their 2 year old grew up to be a suicide bomber to kill Jews, or become a Martyr and a Jihadist for Islam. This is a terrifying, and an alien idea to us, and if we ignore it, it will get more people killed. It reminds me of the guy who slept with bears, thinking they weren’t really the godless eating machines they are until one ate him.

2 Likes

Sadly we are not immune to that sickness her in the US. We just have a great piece of property that gives us lots of food and water and places to live, so less to fight over. But we are just as fraught with the death-cult mentality. Think of all the Christian fundamentalists here in the US who want the Jews to rebuild the temple, signaling the end of the world. All so they can get to heaven. Religion has made these people as sick-in-the-head as that mother that wants her baby to grow up to be a suicide bomber.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the only reason we give a shit about the middle east and vice versa is oil, and that problem is going to solve itself in the next 15 years. Then we’ll have bigger problems to worry about.

not condoning any of the actions but when you are surrounded by the practitioners of a religion that think that your race is evil and have been told by ‘god’ to slaughter you at any given chance…? Then to be honest I’m not suprised by the reaction

That’s why it ALL should all be banned

Who? The ultra-orthodox/zionist jews or Hamas? 'cause they’re quite similar in this regard…

1 Like

I’m going to guess by “all” they mean all religions.

yes of course, religions.

Banning them will just make people want them more.

Really? Do orthodox Jews have a concept of say Dhimmi for example? I’m unsure, this is why I ask. I do know that orthodox communities do adhere to some equally arcane and anachronistic practices, are they equivalent in their tendency to lead one to commit gross acts?

Reminds me of Mike Meyer’s Voltaire’s* joke about the Holy Roman Empire.

(* Didn’t know that till now)

2 Likes

Yes, maybe. In the mean time many people die, all in the name of a total fabrication. I guess one of the real issues is the mixing of politics and religion. That is something that should never happen, guess some haven’t learnt yet.

Yes.

There are ultra-nationalistic/zionist/orthodox groups that are quite radical. Just to quote an example:

One million Arabs are not worth a Jewish fingernail.

Rabbi Yaacov Perrin

Tit-for-tat shame. However some of those concept would apply to anyone different, we’ve seen this already play out. We shouldn’t stand for that from either side.

You haven’t really answered my question though.