Join Boing Boing, Reddit, and websites all over the world on the 11th to fight mass surveillance

[Permalink]

1 Like

I’m so conditioned to bad bills having flashy names that my first read was “Freedom act, hmm, that must be for more spying powers”.

5 Likes

While I’m sure this is safe, and good, and will do no evil… there must be a better way to counter mass surveillance than installing a script onto thousands of popular websites that loads remote javascript and drops cookies. Doesn’t that just seem odd?

2 Likes

Yeah… I dunno… they needed something mass-reproducible. It’s not a direct action, such as a sit-in, as far as I can tell. It just looks like a banner with info and ways to contact legislators, depending on the click-ee’s location. All very benign. Not some kind of ddos against the NSA or anything in-your-face like that.

I’ll think about it.

Not odd to me. This was done with SOPA as well:

http://sopastrike.com/ (most of us got code from here)

It was a successful campaign to say the least and I know I will be participating again with this one without hesitation.

I’d also like to thank boing boing and everyone else for all their efforts including this one. Seriously, thank you.

3 Likes

I remember the Communications Decency Act Blackout of 1996. It seemed like everyone on the web was turning their backgrounds black, including the big guy of the time Yahoo.

20 years later, I doubt Yahoo, Google, or any major player will do the same today.

I hope I’m wrong.

It was effective in that case because there was an upcoming vote on the issue.

I think that’s just a dismissive oversimplification. The historic, successful struggle against SOPA is an ongoing one that goes far beyond just any one vote on the issue as you portend.

We had plenty of naysayers before the SOPA success, but we managed anyway. If you have some constructive ideas to add, no one is stopping you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.