Kim Stanley Robinson on science fiction and California: "California is a terraformed space"

[Permalink]

1 Like

OOH! We can solve this!

We use science to create a corporation that uses us to devour capitalism from within and replace it with a whole bunch better options, right?

Our two-day-old placeholder incomplete fictional employee handbook is here: Awesome Incorporated: Employee/Citizen/Owner’s handbook

Anybody want to help finish it up and hash together some investor friendly pitches and start making most of these problems irrelevant?

Some of the philosophy behind it is here, but it’s much longer (It’s as amusing as possible to make up for it, especially for the Whovians)

That was nicely timed, since that’s what this whole weekend was about. This way is SO much easier!

Been saying it for years: there are people who dream of a future where humanity lives on a terraformed planet, but we’re already there.

1 Like

I agree that KSR has some brilliantly imaginative ideas. But my problem is that I’ve yet to read any of his novels which have characters I like or can relate to.

At best, I want to reach out and slap most of them and holler, "Stop being such an obtuse and/or pathetic weirdo!"At worst, their motivations are completely opaque to me.

3 Likes

That was one of the truest things I’ve read all week!

I liked some of his early work. But it got more and more irritating to me. And after The Years of Rice And Salt, his work is worthless to me until proven otherwise.

That was about the dumbest novel I ever read.

So I get what you’re saying.

I first saw this point about California made in Robert Heinlein’s 1950 novel Farmer in the Sky where a character weighs the risks of migrating from California to a partly terraformed Ganymede.

In the end, Ganymede nearly kills them though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.