Knee Defender gadget gets man--and the passenger whose seat he locked--kicked off flight

Daneyul has switched seamlessly to taking the piss.

3 Likes

He got better.

7 Likes

Right. Rarely am I so insightful. So maybe we have a duty to back out of this particular cat fight and thank our lucky stars?

Did the airplane weigh the same as a duck?

2 Likes

Actually, it sounds like it happened mid-air, since the flight had to be re-routed so they could both be ejected.

reading fail isme

As one of the very few wooden passenger jets in existence, why yes, it weighed exactly one duck.

3 Likes

Seats move SO TEENSY TINY LITTLE NOW that no knee jamming can occur. Those are the seats of 1995 youā€™re talking about. Remember the ones that reclined a full six inches and would squish your laptopā€™s screen? Well, those seats are rotting in a trash pile somewhere in the middle of Texas and the new seats recline a paltry 2.5 inches at the top and 0.5 inch at the bottom. I call shenanigans.

8 Likes

I believe the mistake is there, in your asserting ownership of that space as one where you allow and disallow things to happen in. You do not rent cubic footage in an airplane which is ā€˜your spaceā€™. Itā€™s not a train cabin or a berth or a bunk even. You get use of a seat, at the discretion of the flight crew, as it should be. That seat reclines. Or it doesnā€™t.

You want to be in more control than that on a plane? Then get a pilots license. Otherwise, sit down and do exactly what the flight crew says. Whatever your job is itā€™s probably not as important as not killing a couple hundred people a couple times a day - and that is the flight crews job. So stop making it harder with the attitude.

6 Likes

You are probably right. Its a question of whether or not I can muster the good grace to do soā€¦

Change it back! We need more (rhetorical) knee defenders for the knee jerks!

1 Like

How about if the person in front of you installed a device that prevented your tray table from folding down?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve flown a bunch in the US in the last year, almost all of them after reading about the knee defender the first time around.

What the world needs is a ā€˜7 year old defenderā€™, to defend my back against the incessant kicking of the 7 year old on the back of my seat on a nearly 3 hour flight. At least his mom got some sleep! Other than that, weā€™re not a terribly behaved bunch when it comes to seats. The only seat I had that ā€˜flew backā€™ or was at all ā€˜jarringā€™, or potentially ā€˜decapitatingā€™ was on a little commuter jet, and there was no way to deploy something like that on that little plane.

4 Likes

I call BS.

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t be that surprising since Frauenfelder wrote about this device way back in 2004 (as the second link in the BB post shows).

Not at all. If a flight attendant says remove them, you remove them. Otherwise, things like ā€œdiverting the plane and having you banned from the airlineā€ may happen.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve always had ā€œ7 year old defendersā€ - they are called ā€œstink eyesā€ and you give them to the adult who (I think) is legally required to accompany a child under a certain age. Sadly, they have increasingly been rendered ineffective due to the growing number of assholes who think buying an airline ticket gives them carte blanche to fuck around with the plane.

I mean seriously, why are people defending this? Yes, I agree throwing a drink in return is not legal nor justified. However if I were king, it would be mandatory for this kind of bullshit.

3 Likes

Wow, entitled much?

5 Likes

Why people defend it? Largely for the lulz i suspect, mostly.

2 Likes

Carefully choose what airlines you fly or donā€™t fly. Your problem is with the airline, not with the other passengers, who are using their seats and space as designed.

3 Likes