Lavabit, email service Snowden reportedly used, abruptly shuts down

And. . . it is ‘change I can believe in’ now that I can see it.

Next time we’ll be more specific.

1 Like

There’s nothing stopping you from encrypting your email – ALL your email. Yes, there is some speculation that the NSA can crack PGP, GPG and other methods, but you can at least make them work for it. Just last night, I was discussing this idea with a friend who is thinking about launching an encrypted email service, hosted offshore, and supported by micropayments from users. If the security and privacy of your communications is important to you, wouldn’t you be willing to pay 0.0000001 bitcoins per message to make sure your words and thoughts are safe?

1 Like

I think It takes courage to do what he’s done so far. It sounds likely that he is fighting the NSA in court and is flirting with violation of any gag order that exists. It could be read into the announcement that lavabit received a gagged NSL to either covertly monitor the email, or steal the credentials of his customers. Instead of complying with that order, he has ceased operations. These are actions that will piss off powerful people and make his life miserable. If he was worried about what would happen to himself, he would just silently do what they ask. Fighting court cases is expensive. Closing down a business of 10 years is expensive. Resisting power at all is expensive.

6 Likes

Yeah, it would be nice if they thought of that when they were working on ipv6. The overhead wouldn’t affect anything except for end devices anyway. Of course, I suppose everyone has the option to encrypt their traffic if they really wanted. In most cases anyway.

ahem

5 Likes

You can’t be running a server according to Comcast’s TOS.

And deciding to go ahead means that most mail servers are going to just drop your mail because they will consider your server as a relay server at best, and probably already have all of Comcast’s addresses in their IP blacklist anyways.

Lavabit’s been up for 10 years. Now it’s down because Obama’s on a heedless rampage to destroy anything Snowden related (including forcing down the jet of a foreign head of state). That change. I also voted for him the first time, so this is not some birther rightie rage thing - I actually had some Hope!

3 Likes

And when the righteous indignation hashtags stop tagging, the Like buttons cease to be clicked and the world moves on to the next item of interest he’ll still be in a 9 x 12 cell awaiting trial. Tragically I think we all know how this movie ends.

3 Likes

He acts like he is taking a courageous and principled stand by shutting down Lavabit. Really he is just being a pussy and worrying about what will happen to himself.

I really despise shit heads like you who have given up nothing and then demand others who have given up something to give up more.

He killed his business. He put a gun to the head of his baby and pulled the trigger. He had a choice and he made it.

He has almost certainly made himself a target of domestic spying if he wasn’t already. And you, you worthless piece shit who has given up nothing, criticize him because he didn’t volunteer for jail time on top of what he has already lost? If every single company that got an order like this shut itself down, this bull shit would be over in a week.

I am so fucking sick of internet cowards who have done nothing brave criticizing the absurdly small number of brave people who are truly fighting this because those brave folks didn’t go full on martyr.

Fuck you. Seriously. Fuck you, you worthless coward.

Edit: Edited to clarify what a worthless human I think you are. Also, grammar.
Edit: Edited to remove flagging. Telling off victim blamers is a victimless crime.

16 Likes

The only way you can change what’s going on in this country is to vote out every elected official who refuses to do the right thing.

1 Like

Someone should post a reminder of Phillip Zimmermann, the creator of PGP.

2 Likes

I am so fucking sick of internet cowards who have done nothing brave criticizing the absurdly small number of brave people who are truly fighting this because those brave folks didn’t go full on martyr.

Amen and triple amen to that.

1 Like

I would strongly recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company.

The problem here is that all of our most important private and financial data belongs to them already. This is a problem that can only be solved through policy and right now the government is getting marching orders from corporate donors.

1 Like

Nothing to stop snail mail providers scanning them and running OCR algorithms. That do that on the addresses anyway.

Are you a character from a 1940s gangster movie?

Yeah, of course then some people’s priorities are more complex. You really don’t know that he didn’t weigh the option and find it lacking.

But hey, I wish you good luck on finding the martyrdom that you someday wish to achieve. Everyone’s gotta have goals.

You’re going to need a citation on that. I would more likely trust GPG than not. Use the DSA key not RSA.

1 Like

Thank you Ladar Levison. You protected real people. You are a hero. Thank you for what you have done. Acts like yours is needed more.

What are we going to do about this? It better be good. Start calling your friends.

5 Likes

Not just? I’m not following you. Civil disobedience has consequences, more often than not.

See also the Hushmail privacy policy, section titled “Disclosure of account data”