Linguist explains Doge grammar

[Permalink]

1 Like

i was just discussing with a friend a few days ago about how the doge meme basically forces one to write a very short précis about an arbitrary topic, as opposed to lolcats which are themselves the object of the joke, or at most function as a metaphorical symbol.

i guess you can think of doge either as a sort of haiku, or a degenerate cinquain. my suspicion is that the popularity comes from being a hack which allows anal-retentive amateur grammarians to sidestep their ridiculous inner censor for a few seconds and just communicate their feelings and surface-level impressions. that’s why it’s a faux-pas, as mentioned in the article, to use nearly-correct grammar in a doge; it infringes on the purpose.

2 Likes

many insight. such thought. much retchdoge. wow.

7 Likes

“Such Weather” (from the comments section of TFA) is my new go to site for current conditions:
Such Weather

4 Likes

I’m waitin’ for this one to be over. Surprise me, Internet, and make it survive the summer.

It could happen.

1 Like

Nice boat!

“Many noun”?? Did you even read the article, Xeni?!

Doge? I still haven’t seen gangnum style yet.

1 Like

Many noun isn’t an option?
From the article . .

[quote]So if it’s not the shiba inu or the fluorescent comic sans that makes a text doge, then what is it?
I’m so glad you asked. Let’s put our linguist hats on and get ready to analyze.

Doge speak is clearly composed of subunits which are divided by a period in running text, which I’m going to call doge phrases. The period is optional in images, but in that case the phrases are scattered artistically around the picture. Here are some examples of doge phrases:

such drift
much dignity
very leeder
many robe
much infinity
so gif
very guitar
such fall
so trick
much feels
very sad
many happy
such pbs
very art
There are also a smaller number of single-word doge phrases, chiefly:

wow
amaze
excite
A minimal doge utterance contains at least two but often three 2-word doge phrases, followed by a single-word doge phrase (most commonly wow). Additional phrases and variants can be added, especially for the sake of cultural references, such as can’t believe it’s not doge or dogeway to heaven but they are not what makes an utterance recognizably doge.[/quote]

Many Robe, Very Guitar, Many Noun. I’m not seeing the issue.

Also, might’ve been a nicer way to say that. Just sayin’

2 Likes

wow. such meta.

3 Likes

Doge always makes me think of this:

What watch?
Ten watch.
Such much?

6 Likes

Also obligatory Simpsons quote:

Cletus: “Oh, sorry about my faux pas, that jug was fo’ pa.”

One example are the words much and many. Both of them basically mean “a lot,” but much goes with amorphous masses and many goes with individual countable items. So if you say “much wine was consumed,” you’re talking about a large sea of wine, but if you say “many wines were consumed,” you’re talking about many individual wine-items, in this case probably types of wine like Pinot Grigio or Merlot. But some combinations are better than others: “many wine” or “much wines” is definitely not in the canon of Standard English, but sounds excellent in doge speak.

An example that proves my point conveniently popped up on my Facebook while I was writing this, showing someone actually correcting someone else’s use of doge modifiers to be more ungrammatical.

Friend #1 (posting link): Doge is a rescue dog. Much respect. So noble. Wow.
Friend #2 (commenting): Your dogeing is too coherent. “Much noble, so respect.”

So it would be “much noun”, because nouns are countable items. “Many noun” is still ungrammatical, and pretty much still acceptable, as the plural/singular doesn’t match up, but not precisely correct.

I can haz more original meme?

7 Likes

I believe that thinking this hard in order to criticize the usage of term in a goofy meme completely defeats the point of goofy memes.

2 Likes

Surely that’s what they’re for?

1 Like

Am I the only person to enjoy the Shakespearean doge-speak in the article? It’s poetry
there’s a real shape to it, and it echoes the original in a way that deepens the effect rather than cheapens it. For me, at least.

1 Like

The point is to subvert conventions such as:

“‘many’ refers to countable items”

As a result, “much noun” would be fine. “many noun” is ungrammatical and probably wouldn’t be criticized as “too coherent” but there doesn’t seem to be any rule in doge to prevent “much noun” which I think is actually funnier because it’s even less coherent than “many noun”.

The number of people jumping in to correct usage of a dialect that was purposefully constructed to subvert grammatical rules for the sake of lulz is itself pretty lulzy.

2 Likes