Man happy after cheap smartphone downgrade

[Read the post]

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with being man happy, regardless of your smartphone status.

10 Likes

It is too bad that ā€œreal battery lifeā€ isnā€™t a useful stat on modern phones (if it exists at all).

My old phone, a Galaxy Nexus, had to be recharged daily even with light use.

My new phone, an HTC One m8, can last 2+ days with light use. Great! But I didnā€™t know that until after Iā€™d used it for a couple days and realized I ended the day with ā€œextraā€ battery to the point that I donā€™t have to plug in my phone overnight.

I still carry a travel battery with me.

Most Americans arenā€™t in a position to ā€œdo the mathā€ because the cost structure theyā€™re forced into is so convoluted. Apple fans will say ā€œwhy would you want anything but the bestā€ without the cost calculation that not everyone wants to spend $100/month for a their phone. I have an $80 smartphone that does all I need it to on a $10/month prepaid plan with a ATT MVNO. I only turn on the data if I REALLY need access when Iā€™m away from home and thereā€™s no Xfinity hotspot in reach (I have a $30 Comcast broadband svc). I can think of lots of things to do with >$1000/yr saved.

5 Likes

I work with mobile computers (basically smart phones for businesses) and I have had some long talks with our battery engineers about how batteries work, what drains them down, how long can a battery be expected to last on one charge, over its lifetime, and other exciting issues.

Many of the people I know who work with these issues carry stripped down phones because they value battery life and the ability to make an actual phone call (i.e. a functional antenna) over apps and getting their mail on their phones.

I used to have a talent for losing phones or getting them wet, and at one point I went with a cheap no contract phone that I absolutely loved.

Nowadays I carry an iPhone mainly for the great camera and an app that makes the camera even better.

3 Likes

Iā€™m using a cheap smartphone as well (a OnePlus One) and I regret going so low end. The thing I mostly want is a good camera.

When I look for my next phone, Iā€™m going for camera first, everything else second. The OPO is cheap, but ultimately Iā€™m disappointed with it almost daily. I usually keep my phone for 2 years, so the difference between a $700 phone and a $300 phone is about fifty cents a day. Low end isnā€™t worth it for me.

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy if I could retrograde (a whole new use for that word!) my current phone to iOS 5. Itā€™s a purely superficial thing, but, damn, I miss how things like the Notes app (which I use frequently) used to look.

1 Like

Previously on CoolTools: the surprising utility of a $10 LG 800.

Never did find one of those, unfortunately, but the iPod Touch 4th Gen with small crack I got for $20
ought to suffice.

My octacore phone, which runs at 2GHz, using 2GB of RAM and a 1080p display can do three days on a charge, easy. Two days if I absolutely flog it.

How, you ask? A five amp-hour cell. Bam. The THL 5000 is >US$300.

Too much? How about the same phone (the ā€˜Teslaā€™ variant, AKA THL 5000T) minus a GB of RAM, running at 1.4GHz, with a 720p display, and the same 5000mAh cell, for around $200? With light use, you might go four or five days without needing a charge.

BTW, THL stands for technology happy life, LOL. Their battery tech sure makes my life happier.

3 Likes

Why not just get a real camera?

1 Like

Because the very best camera phones are good enough now for what I want. I have a phone with me all the time and the price difference between a budget phone and one with a very good camera isnā€™t all that high. For me, itā€™s worth spending fifty cents a day on.

I realize that other people would just buy a dedicated camera and carry around two devices everywhere. Thatā€™s cool too.

I carry a cheap phone-- a really cheap phone, it was about $30 at Best Buy a few years ago-- and a very good pocket point-and-shoot camera. The combination works perfectly for me.

I have a shitload of apps on my phone that I donā€™t use, but GPS and a good point and shoot camera are a must.

1 Like

Here in Japan, thereā€™s been a surge in sales of ā€œnot so smartā€ phones (limited web access, no GPS or apps)ā€¦some people are tiring of the data charges and the constant distractions.

2 Likes

If carrying two devices is no big deal, then this is the way to go.

A $30 phone is essentially free vs the $700 or so that a phone with a good camera costs. The expensive phone works out to $1 / day for the 2-year life. Iā€™m willing to cough up a buck every day to only have to carry one device. It makes sense for me, it might not make sense for you.

The other thing I like about camera phones is the location metadata that is attached to the photos. Thatā€™s been pretty useful for me. Iā€™ve written some software that ties my calendar, email, and photos together to auto-create a daily journal.

You can cheat that one with a GPS route logger on the phone, if the phoneā€™s and cameraā€™s times are synced (or the offset is known).

Itā€™s both useful when you need it, and horrifying when you forget to turn it offā€¦

3 Likes

Can we make Man Happy a thing? Like it could be happy about subverting a system that you think is new a novel, but is actually known to everyone, except you?

Cause that would make me man happy.

1 Like

$ man happy
No manual entry for happy

4 Likes

Okay, I just discussed this with my wife. Her reaction, ā€œso, ignorant?ā€. My reply was, " no, there must be an implication of joy and self satisfaction ā€œ. To which she responded, " so, willfully dumb?ā€.

I think the creation of Man Happy is a tautology :smiley: