Mega-malls are dying

[Permalink]

Many malls are certainly dying, but Iā€™m not sure what the tag ā€œmega-mallā€ refers to? Things like the Mall of America or the King of Prussia mall? I havenā€™t heard any reports of those dying as of yet.

What is the appeal of the Mall again?

I feel like the Mall has never been a rewarding place to visit:

Herds of bovine shoppers staggering about, impulse items of shoddy construction in every direction, a miasma of Muzak wafting in the background, a whole court dedicated to food choices you will instantly regret. I always leave feeling a little fatter, a little poorer, and a little dumber.

I, for one, welcome our new internet-retail overlords.

1 Like

Actually, the article is about malls, but the headline is so much more awesome when you add ā€œmegaā€. Iā€™m just surprised it doesnā€™t say giga-malls.

2 Likes

and Sbarro closed 40% of its US locations this year so you canā€™t even do that in a lot of places.

Also too, millennials donā€™t have any money to go shopping because there are no jobs for them.

2 Likes

I used to like malls when they had 1) bookstores 2) music stores and 3) computer game stores. None of my local malls have any of these anymore. Yes, none of the books, albums, or games I purchased in the last year were physical objects, but it was nice to have physical retailers.

4 Likes

I like individual retail stores. I even make an effort to patronize ones I enjoy visiting (like my local comic shop).

I visit a book store with a singularity of purpose. I am there for a specific reason. The Mall is where one goes with a vague notion of filling an ambiguous hole.

4 Likes

Good. Horrible places.

5 Likes

And, call me old-fashioned, but I enjoy the feeling of being able to go into a place and walk out with what I want rather than having to wait for it to be shipped to me. The internet provides greater variety than I could ever imagine, and is wonderful for things I can wait for, but when I go to an office supply store because Iā€™m looking for a notebook and get told ā€œWe donā€™t carry them anymore, but you can order them from our online store!ā€ I want to punch the floor so hard it causes an earthquake.

Even when malls were fashionable the only reason I ever went to one was because it was the closest location of a specific store.

Typo in the original post - it should say ā€œswill dinnerā€.

2 Likes

Old-fashioned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pshaw. Old hat. Peta-malls is where itā€™s at.

1 Like

Itā€™s so hard when other people like things you donā€™t like, isnā€™t it?

1 Like

As an apologist for James Howard Kunstler I say ā€˜Death to the places not worth caring about!ā€™

I donā€™t understand the popularity of outlet malls. There is an impression that these places offer savings and discounts that you canā€™t find in the regular stores. Unless the item is blemished or has a manufacturing defect Iā€™ve not found prices any more competitive than elsewhere. Sounds like just more marketing spiel to convince people theyā€™re getting a good deal.

1 Like

Well, locally at least, the monstrosities referred to as ā€œmallsā€ are substantially larger structures than they used to be, so it seems like for something to be considered a ā€œmallā€ itā€™s big enough that it once would have been a ā€œmega-mall.ā€ Also as distinct from ā€œstrip-mallsā€ and other forms of smaller shopping centers (sometimes called malls) that seem to be booming.

1 Like

word. good riddance to them.

Even then, Iā€™ve seen stuff (furniture, jeans) priced the same as new, unblemished product. (Hard to say with jeans, I know, but Iā€™m not talking about the ā€œpre-tatteredā€ lookā€¦ I mean a hole punched in the jeans, ink or dye spilled on the jeans etc.)

BTW, thatā€™s one fucked-up commenter over at that articleā€¦ Poeā€™s Law?

2 Likes