Mother: adorable connected sensor network

The ship will automatically destruct in “T” minus five minutes.

1 Like

Is there an API? Can I write my own patterns for the sensors to detect?

What is it with American masturbation jokes and hand lotion?

I read the upper right panel as “Aren’t your forgetting your pants?” That would be useful.

I also read the one in the upper right as “Are you forgetting your pants?”. It’s a valid question in our household.

1 Like

Circumcision is more common than not in the USA. Circumcised penises do not self-lubricate. It would be embarrassing for a young man to buy personal lubricant. Therefore, a lot of American adolescent males make do with what they can find around the house (frequently hand lotion), hence the stereotype.

1 Like

TIL my circumcised penis isn’t the lx package. It’s the stripped down sport edition I guess.

probably more accurate to say the rusted out junker behind the 7-11
1 Like

Warning: Alien is about to burst out of your chest.

On the whole? Pricey, and only 4 sensors? I’d expect at least a dozen or so. You could probably snag a home automation system for the same bucks and do much the same stuff. The apps for those are usually free and fully programmable.

Only major difference I see is the size of the sensors. But, if you only need to detect motion, there are cheap stick-on bluetooth sensors you can buy now. (Way cheaper than paying the locksmith or buying a new phone, for sure. Got a kid that can lose keys and phones faster than I could start the car or make a call. So, sensors are a good investment.)

And the Matryoshka doll (which is admittedly all warm and fuzzy - in a totally plastic, but not $200 sorta way). They shouldn’t be called ‘warnings’. They should be called ‘nags’. Like those voice assists they putting in cars - I think it was Toyota? The female voice repeats, “The door. Is. Ajar.” over and over. And I was all, “Yeah - I already have a mom. And by the way, the door is not a jar. It’s a freaking door, ok?”

So, if it was used for remembering to take your pills or water your plants, and such, you could just as easily load those tasks into your calendar, and it’ll call you up or do alarms, or whatever you want. I could see where it could be very useful with monitoring kids - but alarms on the necessary doors, motion detectors, and a nanny cam will do much more, AND report it all back to you. You can even use a night vision cam. “Put the seat back down. Put the seat back down., Put the seat back down…”.

So it is actually an anti-masturbation practice?

The last thing I need is a neurotic display reminding me of everything my family has or hasn’t done every single waking moment.

But if you have kids, can you do like cheevos or something? “Achievement unlocked! Brush your goddamn teeth for once.”

This is a feature I would pay for.

Officially, no. Unofficially, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that the current trend for it in the U.S. is a hold over from anti-masturbation thought.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.