MIT's "Smart Diaper" alerts caregiver when it's wet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/16/mits-smart-diaper-alerts.html

1 Like

If the article didn’t say this idea came from some MIT folks, I would have believed the idea came from a San Francisco techbro watching a homeless person taking a shit infront of a Baskin Robbins.

7 Likes

This takes “Internet of Shit” to a whole new level.

But seriously. This could be a huge help, especially if there a multiple kids in someone’s care. Daycare, hospital, etc.

Even when it’s just one kid, a lot of the time you’re not aware that the diaper needs to be changed unless you check it yourself.

The only concerns I’d have are in the implementation details. Does my kid’s wet diaper notification really need to go to someone’s server and then to my phone? A simple sensor alarm that sits on a shelf and beeps would be good enough.

15 Likes

Good gadget for the basement to warn you when it’s flooding.

10 Likes

The next version will alert everyone in the vicinity when the kid’s parents starts changing the nappy on a public picnic table.

4 Likes

@pesco : “when its wet” to “when it’s wet”

4 Likes

I would have liked an alert when they were about to puke on you. That would have been more handy.

10 Likes

htahecepuni

What? How then can I feign ignorance to my caregiving partner?

2 Likes

The article says that the reusable ones retails for $40, so their cost should be lower, and then the stated difference will be smaller than 2 cents to $40.

How does one dispose of an electronic diaper?

If only there were another way to indicate diaper wetness. Something… built right in to the baby. Maybe something audible, maybe something you could smell…

Nah, nevermind. Get an app.

19 Likes

i hope to make a diaper that actually has a sonic sensor in it that alerts an app on the parents phone to let them know when the baby is crying.

3 Likes

Hopefully not in landfill. I have visions of dump sites lighting up with warnings in the rain.

3 Likes

Talk about overkill. What happened to the ones that just turned blue when wet?

3 Likes

I thought that was the baby’s job.

6 Likes

Isn’t any able to just make a product for good money any more? No, they have to suck your data out of you, too. It’s not even as if they price that in and give you a better price on the product. Grrrr!

no, this is seriously great. means i can just leave the kiddo in the playpen, and go out for the day. i’ve already got an alarm to remind me about all the different meal times, and i’m planning on letting alexa do the whole “learning to talk” thing. ( god, i’m hoping for english. :crossed_fingers: )

7 Likes

Seems like a crappy idea.

1 Like

deviantart is how rule 34 gets implemented.

3 Likes

“What’s that, honey? Why didn’t I change the diaper? Well I didn’t get any notification about this on my phone!”

2 Likes