Mr. Robot Mr. Robot Mr. Robot 👨🤖👨🤖

Implicit how? How are you defining economic relationships?

I was just remarking that you phrased it in a way which sounded like an implicit assumption to me. I might have interpreted your meaning inaccurately.

I kind of don’t, really! I define economic activity as that of commerce and attaching subjective human values to real-world commodities and actions. But to me, that’s what I consider anti-social, the neurosis of making personal problems into social problems. It forces people to entertain selfish behaviors by framing survival as being a network of personal problems.

My distrust of economics is probably a tangent which goes beyond the scope of Mr. Robot! I don’t want to derail the discussion.

1 Like

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:45, topic:76909”]
I don’t want to derail the discussion.
[/quote]

:wink:

2 Likes

Fair enough. Maybe our distrust of economic reductionism is somehow related to why we enjoy romanticized misunderstood uber-genius narratives mass marketed to us by the producers of Mr. Robot? :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

MrsTobinL got season one from the library. I am only past the first few episodes but man this is a good show that keeps you paying attention.

5 Likes

I really enjoyed it. [Spoiler]it is a direct homage to fight club. When I heard the acoustic version of the pixies tune, that sealed it. The excution of the plot is more nuanced than fight club, and much more accurate. Also, it is less misogynistic.

What I’m reeeally excited about is, “what happens after?”. And that is coming :smiley:
[/spoiler]

4 Likes

I stopped Lost at episode 1 of season 2. I felt the title was referring to the plot.

7 Likes

I made it all the way through. But by the end there were jumping sharks grasping at straws.

A better ending than Newhart though.

4 Likes

I DIVORCE THEE, I DIVORCE THEE, I DIVORCE THEE!

5 Likes

I’m not sure I would say direct homage, but it is easy to see the influence, and Sam Esmail does count it as one.

References are fine and all, and artists lift motifs all the time. Sometimes you can be too heavy handed with it, sometimes it works out sublime. I like Mr. Robot, and am looking forward to seeing where it goes this next season.

Let’s hope the crew keeps developing it into an interesting series, and doesn’t get too ham-fisted with the references or take too many other short cuts.

#Play me out kids.

3 Likes

It is a flipping love letter to fight club. And they are doing it better. This is like watching Dylan/Hendrix “Watchtower” in near real time.

Is that your blood?
…some of it.

This will be discussed in film school for decades :smiley:

7 Likes

Yeah, Um. I’m hoping he can do better. I guess you’ve ignored my complaints about it so far. no big whoop.

I haven’t. The song you linked is great. And on balance I think Mr. Robot is pretty incredible. I guess I’m just wide eyed that they got so many things right!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Whelp that was a good song :smiley:

1 Like

My fav by that group.

1 Like

My favorite “trouble”.

Yes, I’ll let this get back to Mr Robot.

3 Likes

Well, its not like there’s a whole lot more to discuss until the new season airs…

1 Like

Unless you want a rather tiring analysis of minutia, story elements, and other theorizing, you are correct.

1 Like

Gawd I love that tune. I grew up listening to cat Stevens. Another Trouble song is appros though.

4 Likes