Multiscreening is the new Multitasking

[Permalink]

1 Like

As usual, Star Trek got there first.

6 Likes

Hardly surprising.

Humans have always been polytheistic tools users - a trait that will remain true no matter how hard Jobsian techno-totalitarians try to lock us into walled gardens.

But what happens when you see something brilliant on one device, but you can’t cut-and-paste to the other? You end up emailing crap to yourself, and then your tablet won’t open the mail

2 Likes

I logged on just to make this point. Glad that you’re holding the fort down
 erm
 steady as she goes, ahead warp factor 3 or words to that effect.

Hopefully soon someone will pick up on the trend and start manufacturing special-purpose devices optimized for the individual functions like recording images, communicating over distances, and calculating stuff.

7 Likes

That would be weird. I want one that tells time.

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re an iOS user?

PS: bit.ly?

Come to think of it, doesn’t history sharing in Chrome on iOS work? Pretty sure it does. Suxors if you use Safari (why do you use Safari?) but you’ll be pleased to know that Yosemite and iOS8 are gonna sync tabs and history between mac and idevices when they finally come out.

Yes
 works in Chrome. Get rid of OSX internet explorer.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2591582?hl=en

The only thing any power user uses this for is staying logged into Clash of Clans while you check the TV guide. “Multi-screening” is fucking stupid if referring to using separate devices ‘simultaneously’. Having a bunch of screens on your PC, however, is useful.

A laptop is hands down faster at doing everything you could possibly want to do with the only exception of testing a mobile app/site. A tablet has advantages over a laptop because of its ergonomics and a phone over a tablet because of its portability. There’s no one situation which requires all three uses cases and, as such, you’re wasting time if using a non-optimal device for the situation.

Multi-screening as described here is just noobs using their tech in inefficient ways or as a way of modifying work behaviour
 try some self control buddy. If I’ve got a heap of work, I don’t load up BB. I don’t need to keep BB only on my tablet so as not to become “tempted”.

A pile of browser tabs on your laptop becomes mentally confusing; tasks get hidden and maybe forgotten.

Yeah
 for noobs.

But when screens are physically separate, the problem evaporates.

Actually, no
 if you are unable to keep track of tabs on one device why would it be any easier to track tabs across multiple devices?

you’ll be pleased to know that Yosemite and iOS8 are gonna sync tabs and history between mac and idevices when they finally come out.

Been able to share Safari Tabs on Macs for years now since Mac OS 10.8 and iOS 6 and it’s free. Of course, been able to also share Tabs other ways as well even longer, but you mentioned Safari.

I’m guessing you’re an iOS user?

Suxors if you use Safari (why do you use Safari?)

If you want to share your Safari tabs with your Mac OS X computer and iOS device, there’s iCloud Tabs which has been around for years.

For sharing links, I use Pocket with Safari, there’s also Cloudapp, etc. and both work across my Andriod, Windows and Mac devices flawlessly and they’re free (for basic usage).

It’s also one less way for Google to not watch one’s every, single move no matter what you do online. :smiley:

Of course, Firefox also shares Tabs which I use occasionally to share tabs between one of my Android devices and my Macs. And Android Firefox (with its superior add-on support) is vastly better than Chrome when it comes to privacy, extensibility, customizations, compatibility, etc. on Android.

I also should mention that Safari on Macs has superior extensions compared to Google Chrome on Macs. But, of course, for stuff within Google’s walled garden, it’s necessary to keep a copy of Chromium and/or Chrome on the machine as well.

A pile of browser tabs on your laptop becomes mentally confusing; tasks get hidden and maybe forgotten.

Yeah
 for noobs.

Agreed, you can search through Tabs very easily. With safari, I just hit command-option-2 in a new Tab and start typing some of the words/letters that I think are within the Tab webpage title and/or domain and the tab will pull up from History and the results will narrow as I type in real time.

Or, even quicker in some circumstances, I use an awesome Alfred workflow that pulls up all my tabs and I type some letters in the title or site and it pops up and I hit enter to pull up that tab. You can even hit the spacebar if you’re not sure if the tab is the right one and a thumbnail of the website will pop up in Quick Look. There’s also an Applescript for LaunchBar as well that works in other circumstances.

And, in newer versions of Safari, they’ve now implemented a nice ExposĂ©-style way to look at your Tabs as thumbnails as well and move through them visually.

Tabs are like any other tool that can be used properly or improperly.

1 Like

but those are just words.

Ideally, a PC is just a keyboard and a monitor. A tablet is just a very portable, touchscreen monitor, a set top box is a large monitor optimized for the ten foot interface-- and they are all windows on documents, grabbing computing power from various CPUs, GPUs, cloud servers and so on. Ideally, your choice of device would depend on how you wanted to interact with your data, and not what device your data was stored on.

Of course, latency threatens this ideality.

Let the rudeness flow
 crikey.

Anyhoos
 One might have different groups of tabs (work vs entertainment vs a second work project) on the different devices. No need to be a jerk about it, different people think and process information differently. To each his own.

Personally, I like multi-devicing. At home my desktop is for games. For ten years now I’ve had a laptop beside that monitor to use for watching movies, random browsing while gaming, or just whatever suits my fancy. I have zero interest in having multiple screens for my desktop as I don’t want to worry about just where my mouse cursor is at any one time, and with my laptop for video, it’s easy as pie to just hit a button (play/pause/forward/back/whatever) without interrupting my game.

Are you kidding? I know how to dial ten digits, and clumsily mosh out a text. I don’t even know what browser my cheapass phone has
 it’s just called “Browser.”

For ten years now I’ve had a laptop beside that monitor to use for watching movies, random browsing while gaming, or just whatever suits my fancy.

How’s the viewing angle on that laptop screen?

1 Like

but you’ll be pleased to know that Yosemite and iOS8 are gonna sync tabs and history between mac and idevices when they finally come out.

Mavericks and IOS7 already sync tabs.

About perfect, as it’s setting only 30-inches away from my face and angled towards me. Of course if it’s a really good movie, or something I’ve not seen before, then I’ll use a standard big screen instead of the laptop.

I guess my Mum has a fairly crappy laptop screen, because it shimmers if viewed off angle. “Let’s watch a movie together” was a frustrating experience.

Now, I have two monitors, and I sometimes use the larger screen for viewing videos while working on other stuff-- or vice versa, Off angle response means that I can use my peripheral vision. Now, if only “full screen” mode always respected this sort of working environment.

+1

What kinds of extensions do you use that aren’t available/are crapper on Chrome?