Music: "Your Love," The Outfield (1986)

[Permalink]

I didn’t even play the video and that song is stuck in my head now…

6 Likes

Might as well watch it, if just for the retro colors and hairstyles.

2 Likes

Is it just me, or were videos in the 80s much more interesting and cool? Maybe I’m just feelin’ the olds? But it was like people were still trying to figure out what the medium of rock videos were going to be like, so they were kind of experimental in their approach. LIke the Nik Kershaw video, which I always thought was super cool:

1 Like

Musicians were musicians back in the early days of Music Video and the videos were really poorly directed, hastily and cheaply thrown together until they weren’t.? You started getting great directors coming up from music video and talent moving from tv and movie to work on videos but it took a while.

Now I think song writing involves some music, lyrics and thinking of the cool video idea?

I think you’re right, though I do think it gave musicians another outlet for creativity too. Which was great for people who had other interests other than song craft. A sort pre-MTV (slightly) example - Crosseyed and Painless by Talking Heads, directed by Byrne and Toni Basil:

God, I love that song… One of my two favorite Talking Heads songs, I think.

[edited to add] I wonder how much the success of Thriller/Micheal Jackson changed the direction of music video, making it more corporate and slick? I wonder if it was that video that really made music videos an important medium from the promotion of records.

2 Likes

These guys were the opening act for the first concert I ever went to. The headliner was The Hooters.

1 Like

Our English teacher played this song (specifically, the chorus) in class when we were studying Macbeth. We had to find other examples from popular culture that were similar to Macbeth; I used The Caine Mutiny which I had read (and then watched) the previous summer.

• “I always wonder if he lost her love.”

Well, hell, he was pretty up front about just wanting to use her love.

1 Like

I know but he repeatedly says he doesn’t wanna lose her love. I can only recall such youthful failures to realize the contradiction as resulting in bad endings.

1 Like

And then again, use it or lose it…

1 Like

Seems anticipatory in this case.

1 Like

Cool indeed. Even tho Nik looks like he’s about four feet tall. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My last drummer and I used to play this all the time as a warm up. Still one of my favorites.

The New England Patriots have started playing this song for some unknown reason during home games. During the playoffs game against Baltimore, they started playing this during NE’s final drive. I have never heard a stadium so loud as 70,000 Patriots fans, mostly middle-aged men, singing “I just wanna use your love, TONIIIIIIIIIIGHT!” at the top of their lungs. It was like everyone in the place knew the song and just started singing it unconsciously. It was loud enough that when I watched a sideline interview after the game, it was actually drowning out the reporter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.