New Hugo Award categories for puppies

Well, I’ve already read a number of them. I guess I should go find the URL and consent to give them $40 to help save fandom.

Edit: https://sasquan.swoc.us/sasquan/reg.php

“You are now a member of the World Science Fiction Society.”

Bwa ha ha ha!!!

2 Likes

Plus, we already did one of those.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to vote for “NO AWARD”

3 Likes

Where applicable, yeah. I’ve read one of the “best novel” contenders and have another on my kindle, for example. One of those two might get my vote. Further down the list are less things that I’ve read.

I assume I may get an epacket of ebooks/documents at some point but the system doesn’t seem very automated so I expect it might take a little while.

John Scalzi says

… 3. This year I’ll do what I always do when voting for the Hugos, which is to rank the nominees every category according to how I think they (and/or their particular works in question) deserve to ranked. Preferential balloting is a useful thing. I will be reading quite a lot.

4 If, in the fullness of careful consideration, I come to believe certain nominees in a category do not merit being on the ballot at all, then I will do two things:

One, I will leave those nominees off my final ballot. If they’re not on my ballot, they can’t be ranked.

Two, after ranking the nominees I do believe deserve to be on the ballot, I will use the “No Award” option to signal that I would prefer that no Hugo be awarded, rather than to give it to any of the remaining nominees. Like so:

HUGO FOR BEST USE OF YOGURT

1. Deserving nominee #1
  2. Deserving nominee #2
  3. NO AWARD

So that’s how you would use NO Award strategically, should you want or need that option

3 Likes

Aight!

I am one of those people that grew up knowing that if the book had a Hugo, it was “obviously” worth reading. It was a guide in my teen years and later.

2 Likes

Being married to a person of color or “having black friends” doesn’t mean that you necessarily respect other persons of color. You’ve never heard someone ramble about “the good ones” while sticking to racisf-ass stereotypes? I honestly don’t know about about the man to talk specifics but no, being married to a POC does not give on a get out of shitty thoughts and ideas card.

4 Likes

I mean, so many people try the “I can’t be a misogynist. I’m married to a woman!” line. It’s absurd.

5 Likes

HP Lovecraft, infamous for his racism these days, was married to a Jewish woman (though she eventually divorced him).

5 Likes

Case in point? Brilliant writer and an actual Vichy Government supporter:

I didn’t realize this…

1 Like

Right. And people are not necessarily questioning his love for her, just stating that relationship with an individual does not preclude greater issues with seeing OTHERS as humans deserving of better treatment and respect. If only loving or being friends with a person of any group automatically gave such benefits. We would be a much different world.

4 Likes

Still waiting for you to provide evidence of Hugo biases over the past few years. What is the nature of the bias? Is there evidence of vote rigging? Or is the bias of some other nature?

6 Likes

Affirmative action woodfish!!! Since white (Christian) males are clearly superior to everyone else, whenever someone else gets something a white man has historically had nearly exclusive access to, it must be due to some shady affirmative action chicanery… duh… REVERSE RACISM, DONCHA KNOW!!! /s

1 Like

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2009/08/there-is-no-marital-rape.html

First, there is no such thing as marital rape. Once consent is formally given in public ceremony, it cannot be revoked; the form in which marital consent is revoked is well-established. It is called divorce.

This is straight from the horse’s mouth (er, fingers, if you will).

Vox Day is an awful, horrible man and you are defending him why? Even if you’re “just driving trollies”, that does not put you in a very good light.

10 Likes

I see you and raise with Beale’s poster boy of “Best SF writers other than himself”

Apparently, the natural reaction of “real” men is to beat gays to death when confronted with them. It is hard not to hope that someone returns the favor to Wright though calling for the death of another human being is generally not to be done.

9 Likes

I feel icky.

6 Likes

Have you got the right end of the horse’s anatomy?

6 Likes

This is a very pleased jack ass. Fitting, yet also a unicorn chaser. So I shall leave him here. (Note, I am not calling you a jack ass. That was funny. I lack a witty reply however, so here is a very pleased jack ass.)

3 Likes

“One cannot hold up a homosexual couple… which men will not find gross and unsightly.”

Checkmate, asshole:

13 Likes

4 Likes