New photos of Mount St. Helens discovered

[Permalink]

“New photos of Mount St. Helens discovered, but you don’t get to see any of them.”

Bummer.

You can see the photos if you are using Chrome. For some reason Firefox isn’t showing them for me, but trying another browser revealed the gallery.

On the other hand, no images in Chrome for me, but it works fine in Safari.

Summary: their website is dumb and the admin for the website should feel bad for being dumb.

1 Like

I don’t see the pics in Chrome, I get a 404 for the whole article in FF but it works in Safari. Weirdest page ever.

Yes, he should.
Firefox: page starts to load, then turns completely blank.
Opera: no problem.
What is this?

On the other hand, this story says a lot for photographic film as a storage medium - try getting anything from a 30 year old hard drive or floppy disc that’s been sitting on a shelve.

Chrome didn’t access the gallery, but (gasp!) Explorer did. Random access webpage…

Anyway, one of my geology profs was a pilot and took a series of photos of the same eruptive event as Blackburn (another was doing work on the mountain, but was fortunately not on the mountain on May 18).

My favorite May 18 narrative has to be that of Washington Dept of Natural Resources geologist Keith Stoffel, who was flying over the mountain in a rented Cessna at the moment of eruption.

Try disabling Adblock on that page, it’s what worked for me in FF.

Funny you should mention it, I’m now scanning 25-year-old b&w film negatives, and the scans look fantastic. I wonder how the CD and DVD-ROMS of my digital photos will fare 2 or 3 decades hence. Yeah, I use top-quality media and I deliberately burn at under the rated speed, and I always verify. But still, I wonder.

As for hard drives, no one will be using them by that time. It’ll all be solid-state drives. Hard drives will be old-tech, just like the floppy discs of yore. If one should fail, will there be anyone left who knows how to recover data from them?

I keep all my digital photos on an ever increasing (both in size and number) array of external hard drives. The latest addition is a 3TB (95€ including VAT). So far I’ve used everything from floppies, tape drives, Zip Disks, CD-ROMs, DVDs, MO Discs…
I’m going through my archives at the moment - a family friend died recently and I thought I’d give her family a collection of all the pics I took of her over the last 35 years or so.
Absolutely no problems with anything on negatives.
(Also, really easy finding a specific picture. Just browse the contact prints, there.)
Some of the slides have started to fade a bit so I guess I’ll start scanning them soon.
No problems with CD-ROMs by Kodak. There was a transition phase when I had the negatives developed and scanned in the lab, but not printed.
The CDs and DVDs I’ve burned myself vary. Yes, top-quality media burned at the slowest speed possible and veryfied (and redundant copies), stored properly. Still some of them show problems already after 5 to 10 years. Thankfully not a problem as I’ve never had a HDD with pictures on it crash yet. So for the time being I’ll keep using redundant HDDs. I’m a bit sceptical regarding SSDs. There is a limited number of write/read operations before they ‘wear out’, so loss of data is more than just a theroretical possibility. Also, they are relatively new as a consumer product. I’d like to see some long-term data on reliability. Right now I’d rate them as reliable as a DAT tape, but that’s just off the top of my head without any research or data to back it up.

Where are the holographic storage systems we’ve been promised???
Every once in a while you read something about a system in the prototype/proof of concept stage, and then - nothing.
Oh, right, that will host the AI autopilot on my jetpack.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.