New York school makes poor kids huddle indoors while richer students attend carnival

I find it hard to imagine being the teacher and not ponying up $10 myself.

But to give her the benefit of the doubt, I’m sure all the enforcement of lists of “payers” and “not-payers” etc was enough to create a sense of bureaucracy around it that made just handing in $10 not a option.

(And to give her more benefit of the doubt, is it possible that this was actually to do with permission forms and liability?)

2 Likes

There’s a difference between “children left at school while their friends head off on a field trip somewhere else” and “children locked inside while their friends go to a carnival RIGHT OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL”.

14 Likes

you forgot the bit where the superior rich kids got to flaunt their toys and snacks in the shameful poor kids faces

9 Likes

freedom pastry.

which should be a poignant reminder to us all that freedom isn’t free.

7 Likes

Just who the hell thought any of this was a good idea? Shit just don’t do the carnival. Hardly seems like an appropriate use of school time anyhow.

Hey, it’s a perfectly valid lesson in modern civics.

3 Likes

Yup. “Well, little Tina had her chance but she’s not on the list so she’s not getting in.”

He very well may actually be less of a clown than the principal.

1 Like

How heartless can individual (the principal) be? She needs another job! Perhaps being a garbage collector might change her decisions?

Depends on your brand of freedom! They coulda put on a recording of Joplin singing that Kris Kristofferson song to remind the kids that didn’t/couldn’t pay that they’re living the dream! The Freedom Dream!

If she had her heart softened and paid for the kids herself or whatever, it’s generally a fireable offense for a school teacher or administrator to let the kids participate in an activity without signed permission slips for liability reasons.

But that’s moot anyhow, since she seemed to only be concerned with the money.

Same here. That’s the policy in every district I know.

I don’t live in NY, but my understanding of their local print media is that one should take anything in the Post with a huge side of salt (if at all).

That said, it seems like they transplanted an educator from Texas to NY, based solely on my experience⁂ of having attended school in both states.

⁂(which may or may not be better than reading the Post)

2 Likes

Pondering it a bit, you may be onto something with this transplantation theory. I also was unfortunate enough to attend two years of elementary in Texas (none in NY, though), and the mindset of the principal certainly reminds me of several Texas teachers I got stuck with.

It seemed like a Calvinist “it’s always better to suffer” mindset. Of course I’m generalizing, but it was quite a cultural shock going from NY to TX as a 9-year-old (and I say this as someone who was raised Protestant by people who were from Tennessee, pre-Civil Rights Act). On top of that, we were in LA before NY. I went to UT Austin and quickly decided that Arlington was a place best seen from a rear-view mirror.

4 Likes

I disagree. I think Arlington is best seen from around 30,000 feet.

4 Likes

It’s why I called bullshit when @doctorow supposedly lectured at UT Arlington a few years ago. Nothing that cool could possibly happen there.

2 Likes

And not pay for all the kids? That’s another factor, other kids are going to be unhappy too. Trust me, if you’re a teacher in our educational system, paying for class supplies out of your pocket is something that happens. So much so that there is a specific tax deduction.for it. You can bankrupt yourself trying to plug the holes in our educational system with your own money, and contrary to right-wing spin, teachers aren’t exactly living high off the hog to begin with. My mother is a teacher, and I remember going to the store with her to get various materials for her class, as well as taking hours of her own time at home to do things like construct puppets or what-have-you. Teachers do have to draw a line in the sand at some point and say, “I can’t fix everything.”

6 Likes

Dear FSM, you didn’t go to Dunn did you?

Oh wow, another AISD survivor!? But no, I went to Key (then Gunn, then Martin).