New York: stop putting 16-year-olds in adult prison and trying 13-year-olds as adults!

Go fuck yourself.

5 Likes

Compared to the pitiful simpering of ‘everybody is a special-weshial misunderstood snowflake,’ I’ll take it.

A kid who can muster up the courage to cut their own kid brothers throat has tossed out their humanity card.

1 Like

Comparative analysis is a tricky beast, especially when you start projecting one-and-only alternatives.
Rather than take my normal tact, I’ll make an effort to studiously undermine your reasoning.

You are withholding from yourself the ability to conscientiously and thoroughly think about this topic.
Your knee-jerk reactions are complicit with and culpable to the thought processes of an adult-psychopath.
Someone who may not feel any empathy for other individuals but conflates their failing with a specifically considered choice to ignore the complexities of this situation.

Without due consideration, you have capitulated to the basest of instincts, against which the development of modern law hopes to shield you.

Perhaps you are unable to be fully cognisant of the blanket of immolating and no-doubt religiously fuelled human failing you may think of as your moral base.

And if that is the case I apologize to you. For you are without hope and due consideration of the natural and complicated exigencies of life.

5 Likes

Your attempt to pigeon-hole me is hilarious.

Your pretension and prejudice is showing, mister internet psychologist.

2 Likes

I was aiming for humour but not the kind, I think, with which you are familiar.

I intimated there is some psychopathic edge to you and that was no mistake.

If you would care, at all, in any way whatsoever, to point out where and when I had, in fact, been prejudicial and prejudiced (did you notice the ablative alteration?) I would be happy to respond to your criticism; but as it stands, you are without word, deed or substance.

Care for another rejoinder?

1 Like

“And so to bed.”

but

Holly-Fucking-Shit.

New York is even more insane that it looks like from a foreigner perspective. That is… just… whoa… I should write some rage filled rant but I´m just going to say: NY, get back your fucking marbles.

2 Likes

Go after the grandparents, man!

1 Like

Wow, things must be really bad in New York.

This is usually an issue where continental Europe is markedly different from the English-speaking world. Usually, things considered to be reasonable by reasonable people from the Anglosphere (who I agree with on most other issues) will seem like absolutely appallingly medieval-style toughness on young offenders.

For reference, the situation in Austria:

1. Offenders below 14 years of age ARE NOT PERSECUTED at all. There parents might be in case of gross negligience.

2. Offenders below 19 years of age get the youth courts. That means increased chance to get the sentence suspended on probation, maximum sentences halved, no minimum sentences. Their criminal record will be cleared more quickly than for adult offenders.

1 Like

Then you have situations like the one down here in Argentina where kids are actively scouted and recruited, sometimes by force, sometimes merely through drugs, because they both cannot be tried as adults and come from conditions that make children’s institutions a solid improvement in their quality of life (if they ever get there, most of times they end up back in the custody of their parents, from where they only get removed if a judge determines there’s an inminent threat to the life of the kid and it is so noticeable that they can’t just sit on the issue) , so make for excellent peons and with the recent influx of the narcos, ocasional executors.

Maybe it would make sense for this kind of measures to have an expiration date? Incorporating in the law wording like “this is not going to last further than what is required to see X metric below this Y number for Z months”

As, it would seem, have you.

5 Likes

No, we don’t have situations like that. So maybe as a rich central European country, we can afford to do (what we consider to be) “the right thing”.

What age group of kids being recruited are you referring to? And what’s their legal status in Argentina?

1 Like

How can someone have the culpability of an adult but not have the same rights and privileges as an adult?

There is an injustice here. Until we give someone the same legal rights as every other adult, there is no justification for treating them like adults.

1 Like

Trying children as adults is a sick ploy prosecutors use to boost their “tough on crime” ratings. It’s completely cynical, and the children are nothing but pawns for these politicians.

6 Likes

This is, in many ways, a subset of the question of punishment for crime in general. What are we trying to accomplish? Sequestration? Vengeance? Rehabilitation? We don’t even have these fundamental issues sorted out for our treatment of adult offenders.

Some youths are clearly ‘bad eggs’, whose most positive life trajectory would amount to converting an enormous pile of perfectly good food into poop, and whose established trajectory has already fallen quite a bit below that. If our goal is sequestration, then, certainly, it makes sense to try these young offenders in a way that assures keeping their life trajectory at its peak - turning food into poop without harming anyone else. The trick is accurately predicting which offenders fall into this category and which could, perhaps with support, improve their trajectory to something positive for society.

1 Like

Most of the aprehended ones are over 13 and under 16, youger kids are typically used by beggars as either collectors or “sons” that get rotated among groups of beggars in a given location.

(btw, Discourse complains that my edit un-breaking the post is “too similar to what I recently posted”. Yet now the comment’s body is visible, and wasn’t like that previously. Care to look into that?)

It seems NY is not the only place with this kind of insanity. Child slaves forced into criminal activity may find themselves prosecuted as adults in the UK.

Trafficking victims forced into crime are let down by police, report reveals

The report tells the story of 15-year-old Hai (not his real name). Hai was selling plastic bottles on the street in the capital Hanoi when he was approached by a man who offered to help him reach Europe where he could work. Hai’s mother took out a loan against their house to pay an agent to take him. After 14 months of travelling he was told by his traffickers that he owed them even more money and would have to water cannabis plants to pay off the debt. His trafficker left him alone in the house and locked the doors from the outside, returning every few days with food and water. When police raided the house three months later Hai was arrested. He was too scared to tell anyone what had happened to him and his solicitor advised him to plead guilty. He was sentenced to 24 months in an adult prison.

This is the problem with the whole “all crimes must be punished to the fullest” mentality. It allows for no nuance or the fact some things like cultivating cannabis shouldn’t be crimes at all.

I don’t know how much this is to blame, but generally for both NY and CA this is due to voters voting conservative for local governments but liberal only on the federal level. And that due to a) even liberals vote for those who won’t tax them locally and b) that large swathes of both CA and NY outside of the obvious liberal bastions like NYC, LA, and SF are highly conservative in make. Though I was recently super happy that the end to gerrymandering in CA actually led to an enormous upsurge in voting liberal for the local legislature. So there may be hope yet.

1 Like

How’s using a slave any more efficient than an electric pump and a goddamn timer for that matter? Poor kid. Man, fuck the police. AND duty solicitors.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.