NSA hacked Huawei, totally penetrated its networks and systems, stole its sourcecode

Hard to see any way to frame this as noble whistle-blowing. Compromising a legitimate intelligence operation through fraud and theft isn’t treason, but it sure as hell is criminal.

1 Like

“We do not give intelligence we collect to U.S. companies to enhance their international competitiveness or increase their bottom line.”

You do give it to the government, who uses it to enhance the corporation’s bottom line.

3 Likes

Hard to see any way

You could start by taking off those red white and blue coloured blinders, and getting rid of that absurd ‘My Country, Right or Wrong!’ badge.

it sure as hell is criminal.

You should take that up with NYT and Der Speigel. THEY are the ones who decided to publish this story. Snowden has actively removed himself from decisions regarding what to publish.

4 Likes

When the military start to iNtercaPitalize we will know we have arrived in the future… a very 1990’s future.

1 Like

The NSA had a trust stock? I thought they always were the shadowy spooks that no one trusts. Isn’t that their entire point?

Such a shame that we will never see your news in real life. It would have been like the 1960’s never-existed press release, “The USA continues to provide military and financial support to our brave allies in Northern Vietnam as they prosecute their war against their corrupt Southern neighbors. A successful conclusion to military operations is expected soon.”

1 Like

hmmm Let me see if I got this right

The NSA pwned Huawei having total control over their network and communications
The NSA warns everyone that Huawei is spying on us

Sounds like the NSA found a way to spy on US citizens by controlling a foreign firm and using them as a proxy to spy on people in the US.

Pretty sneaky Sis.

No joke. I don’t want the NSA to be issuing patches to hardware, and people using those patches directly from the NSA. Or any other government agency, from any government. Why would you do that?

And even if we did accept NSA code, I would expect it to be gone over with a fine-toothed comb, the way SELinux was.

2 Likes

“You could start by taking off those red white and blue coloured blinders, and getting rid of that absurd ‘My Country, Right or Wrong!’ badge.”

Yes, because a US citizen, breaking a US law, is absolutely something that only non-US citizens are fit to consider.

Snowden's leaks are a nuanced subject. I agree with his (stated) motives, and I think that some of the leaks needed to come out, to inform people who were in a coma for the past decade, or otherwise didn't know what was going on. Honestly, until this leak, I was even beginning to accept that he might deserve to be given amnesty for it. This last one looks to have crossed over the line, though. 

“You should take that up with NYT and Der Speigel. THEY are the ones who decided to publish this story. Snowden has actively removed himself from decisions regarding what to publish.”

He didn’t actively remove himself from stealing it and handing it over to his fence, did he? That’s an utterly laughable defense.

I don’t know why you would think it ironic that one country’s intelligence agency would try to compromise the commercial arm of a hostile country’s military intelligence establishment. That’s pretty much what these agencies do, when they’re not getting up to shenanigans targeting their own, and the citizens of allied countries.

Not sure how many people are aware of this but basically the entire UK fibre optic broadband system is distributed through Huawei technology…

1 Like

I just saw this in a comment on Bruce Schneier’s blog and found it interesting:

"Was it coincidence that US spying on China was reported on the eve of Obama's meeting with Chinese president Xi Jinping? I think not.

"Remember when US spying on the G-20 was reported on the eve of the G20 summit? on the EU just before the EU summit? on the UN just before the UN General Assembly? on Dilma just before the planned state dinner for Brazil?"

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/03/nsa_hacks_huawe.html#c5108924

Exactly. The Chinese have already undoubted information on how to get into Hawei gear. The NSA is only the second party to sniff out an entrance. This is also another reason why certain countries and parties should not load up on Huawei gear in the first place.

And so you will buy Cisco gear with NSA inside? Why would anyone in other countries every buy a US made networking device after learning that the NSA has thru US Law (CALEA) and indirectly thru planted backdoors / known bugs built in spying ability to all US Telco Gear?

Greek Cellphone system bugged by CALEA Gear
Wikipedia on CALEA

1 Like

Two month before the Snowden leaks:

U.S. Blames China’s Military Directly for Cyberattacks

Apparently the US government was of the opinion that similar hacking is not “a-ok” in their books.

The hypocrisy is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Do as we say not as we do - the official motto of the US government.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.