NYT: Snowden docs reveal NSA has radio pathway into computers, to spy even when device is offline

of course, adequate sound proofing.

1 Like

Good point, although I suspect it would still be pretty hard to cram a suitably hefty capacitor into a functional USB cable. I don’t really know enough about RF engineering to know what the theoretical range/bandwidth limits would be for such a system, but I’d have a hard time believing it could be much further than a few hundred metres.

1 Like

And Tic-Tacs

3 Likes

When hackers were talking about radio transmitters surreptitiously installed into PC hardware and camouflaged I called them crazy. It’s like every dark nightmare is true because it is possible. Now the world will collectively spend trillions of dollars to combat this problem. What a waste of resources.

The NSA must be shutdown because it’s a necessity. Money, we must raise an enormous amount money to get the pr, politics, law, and enforcement right. We need a war chest in the billions and we need the a broad based organization to manage it. The current organizations do not have muster to combat this. This will be a WWII sized effort.

3 Likes
I'd have a hard time believing it could be much further than a few hundred metres.
That'd be more than enough.

1 Like

Also Backtrack. You don’t want to be using your own Internet service, etc. – ah, and this.

1 Like

Put the antennas under the mulch, hardwire into the outdoor lighting.

All this landscaping stuff is contracted out and subcontracted,

…

2 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion that although a lot of these things may actually exist, their actual value is not really an issue. The world of espionage, especially signal intelligence seems pretty vulnerable to an Emperor’s New Clothes scam. Especially considering the dismal success rate in preventing terrorist plots. Fnord.

1 Like

Well, here you go. Blackphone.

2 Likes
Especially considering the dismal success rate in preventing terrorist plots.
It's not for that, really. It's about corporatist [money][1], power and control.

Try organizing a peaceful activist group in The Land of the Free, Inc. and watch them turn on the treasonous charm… then you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Why Is the Military Infiltrating Peace Activist Groups?

Peace Group Infiltrated By Government Agent:

Angry activists condemn FBI infiltration of peace movement:
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_7574.shtml

Maryland troopers spied on activist groups:

FBI Infiltrates Iowa City Protest Group:
http://www.progressive.org/mc052609.html

2 Likes

Where was it that the police department ruled that it was OK for cops to have sex with suspects while on the job as long it was part of their undercover operation? Apparently this is a real occupational hazard when investigating the animal rights people.

1 Like

You probably haven’t designed a global public key infrastructure that supports billions of dollars worth of commerce each day either.

My requirements for security are probably a little different to yours.

2 Likes

This is what I am talking about: agents not bothering to look for real threats, so they pretend to their higher-ups that some aging hippies are potential terrorists.

1 Like

When the GOP was elected in MD, they put together a terrorism watch list that included people opposed to the death penalty, people who lobbied for bike paths and recycling, the Quakers (of course), and probably everyone that lives in Takoma Park.

The growing risk is that some militarized local cop will blow your brains out during a routine traffic stop because your name is on a terror list.

3 Likes

You know I’m going to heckle you at the RSA conference, right?

2 Likes

And probably irrelevant to the personal security needs of, oh, say most of the folks on boingboing? ;}

He is going to decide tactics, not you. It is not your place here to decide His tactics. You have not earned that right.

Yes, we do close ranks to protect our own and we make no apologies.

Yeah. Laziness, too much money, and the simmering resentment looking for something to resent.

So, despite the Snowden dump, I think a large part of the NSA is just in it for the money, pretending to be super spies so that they can get money for nothing and chicks for, well, money and cyberstalking.

1 Like

My friend and I know a number of people with security clearances for administrator access to security agency IT systems, and they also happen to be the shakiest people we know. A drunk, a wife beater (well she beats him right back), someone that has spent the weekend in mental hospitals a couple times, etc. The contractor that was doing their background checks recently admitted to faking thousands of reports, so it’s easy to see how they would screen out people with any shred of honesty while hiring the crazies.

3 Likes

i thought i read somewhere that they had a budget of $250M/year specifically for corrupting or bribing hardware and software manufacturers into installing backdoors e.g. like RSA and the dual elliptic curve fiasco.

1 Like