Orikaso: folding, cheap, amazing polypropylene flat-pack dinnerware

That is exactly the question that drew me here to the comments section. Anybody got a good answer to how this plastic is more environmentally sound than other plastics?

I have a minimalist approach to my packing/cooking. I also carry no spoon. If I can’t pick it up with a fork, I can drink it. My only knife is the leatherman blade.

Typical meal of pasta and soup. Boil the water and pasta, drain the hot pasta water into my cup and add soup mix. Stir sauce/seasoning through pasta and enjoy straight from the pot. I’m not fancy. I’ve even used pasta water for coffee. No point in throwing away heat that you’ve packed in as fuel, especially in the high mountains where fuel=water.

It’s made from a byproduct of oil and natural gas refining. Production doesn’t involve as much toxic chemicals. It’s sturdy enough to last a significant time. And it can be recycled.

Maybe not better than all plastics, but on the better end of the scale.

3 Likes

Nice video showing the folding/unfolding here:

I assume the handle on the cup makes it good for hot beverages without burning yourself, but i don’t think i’d do really hot soup out of the bowl if i had to hold the bowl while eating.

Can’t find these exact things in the US yet. I’d really like the cup.

It’s not a yet, it that you can no longer find them. Yes, the cup works fine for either cold beer or hot coffee.

I have a set of these that I purchased quite some time ago. But I haven’t been able to find them again here in the United States. So anyhow, the plusses: 1) Very lightweight. The minuses: 1) Folding them correctly can be a bit of a production. 2) For the bowl, little pieces of soup get stuck in the folds, making for messy cleanup. 3) Clean up is a bit of a pain too, the plastic has more texture than a typical titanium pot. 4) If you didn’t get it folded just right, it can unfold and dump the contents on you, on the ground, or on the fire. In the end, I came to the conclusion that they were more trouble than they were worth, and on backpacking trips just take my nested titanium cup / titanium pot pair (the canister for the stove fits inside them so the fact they don’t fold is irrelevant), and on car-camping trips take paper plates that can be tossed on the campfire after use.

My favorite piece is the cup, which has lots of grace-notes, like metric volume measurements on both side and imperial on the other, and a handle that’s so clever I actually giggled the first time I used it. The whole thing is basically a magic-trick.

Mutant happiness at its best!

1 Like

I was with ya up until the coffee from pasta water. Blech.

I got a few of these from Ebay recently because it seems they are not made anymore.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

I’ve used them about as long as johnson_bradley has for camping and picnics and they are definitely holding up fine. Not sure if I`d use it to drink coffee or tea out of but that might be more my issue.

Coleman seems to have the rights for these Stateside. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00339C2RE

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.