Man who invented Keurig K-Cups regrets it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/19/man-who-invented-keurig-k-cups.html

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with drip.

25 Likes

What’s inside these k-cups? Is it really anything different from high-quality instant coffee?

I grind my own beans and drip them through a filter, using equipment that costs less than $100 total (including the grinder) and bean that are just regular grocery store beans and it’s good, cheap, all waste is compostable.

5 Likes

Or, you know, drink

12 Likes

One: this story has been done here before (surely!?). Two: if you can’t make real coffee, you are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

3 Likes

it’s the coffee equivalent of multi-bladed razor blades. once they got you committed to “their” pods, you won’t be able to spend your money anywhere else. they are awful.

11 Likes

Way harsh, considering…

9 Likes

Hyperbole, my dear. Hyperbole. [brought to you by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.]

3 Likes

In the regular coffee ones it is essentially a single cup of drip coffee. That is to say, it’s standard drip coffee (or maybe slightly towards espresso grind considering the speed of the brew) grinds. Anything more fancy than plain coffee or tea is instant stuff, however.

2 Likes

“Just because I could, doesn’t mean I should have…”
Easy to say after getting rich off the profits. I wonder how much of those profits he has spent trying to undo or compensate for the damage (not that he is responsible for other people buying and using his gadget…)

“That would make it environmentally neutral, because you wouldn’t have those Starbucks cups [everywhere]”

The rationalization is strong with him. By this logic, Bitcoin is environmentally neutral because we don’t have to print up all that fiat money.

I think I know the head of your department;

15 Likes

Just because he invented it doesn’t mean he retained the patent or reaped the benefits. He was probably just another salaried employee, it was his employer that made all the money.

ETA: the article states he left the company in 1997 (well before the machines took off in popularity) and sold his share of the rights to the product for $50K. So not what most people would consider “getting rich.”

35 Likes

Hum, new one on me. Elucidate pls?

Given how trying to make tea with one of these generally turns out. That’s most definitely instant. The contents do seem to be very finely ground. But they also fill them with about 1/2 to 1/4 the amount of grounds needed to make an actual decent cup of coffee. You can get pods with more and better coffee in there from 3rd parties, but that’s what all the DRM nonsense was meant to keep you from doing.

Would be better than most of what comes out Keurig machines.

3 Likes

https://www.triplepundit.com/2014/11/brief-history-plastic-bag/

6 Likes

I would like to plug my current coffee maker, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

I purchased it primarily because:

• I needed a new coffee maker my roommate would find harder to clog.
  • I wanted one where the water did not come into contact with much plastic (this baby is almost entirely glass and steel).

We use cheap coffee. Cafe Bustelo. Folgers. It is noticably better than any other machine I have had. I am skeptical that the pour over mechanism does much of anything though…

3 Likes

Thank you. Will check out. I grew up with paper bags and was even a bag boy for a spell. There was an art, of sorts, to putting groceries into paper bags.

3 Likes

You’re not hip to the original Power Puff Girls, and their incredibly redundant nemesis, MoJo Jo Jo?

Hot Diggity; you’re my 1 out of 10,000 for today!

Happily:

https://dai.ly/x2qky9d

29 Likes

Hey, Cafe Bustelo rocks. Unfortunately, they have found this out and the price has gone up. I cut it with the super cheap Cafe Caribe and still get a decent cup.

2 Likes

5 Likes