Outstanding paper on the impact of ebook DRM on readers, writers, publishers and distributors

[Read the post]

The problem she highlights is really a problem with dedicated e-readers. If I choose to use general purpose tablets like an iPad or Nexus 7, then I can freely switch back and forth between buying books from Amazon and from Google Play. The books from either service are readable in most places (other than the dedicated e-readers).

The DRM has even enabled one pro-competition development. With the advent of monthly subscriptions to all-you-can-read services such as Oyster, Scribd and, Amazon Unlimited, … These books can be read on a huge variety of devices, and since it is a subscription model => there is no lock-in. I lose nothing by switching from Oyster to Scribd or whatever.

Don’t forget the massive shit-sandwich that has been served up to address the e-book lending market.

I try not to believe in conspiracy theories, but it’s almost as if the powers manipulating things behind the scenes are trying to make the process as difficult as possible to drive people away from the tech.

You are still locked into an ecosystem. What if that ecosystem goes out of business?

Also it is nice that you can afford a subscription service, but many do not have that luxury and rely on things like public libraries. While libraries are working hard with publishers to offer ebooks to their patrons, it is still a very much top down model leaving the libraries with little recourse to labyrinthine authentication processes, arbitrary lending rules and exorbitant prices.

3 Likes

Except for ibooks.

The only eBooks I buy are from O’Reilly (usually reading PDFs on an iPad).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.