Pentagon's nuclear missile system is run on floppy disks

Are they really 8" or are they just trying to hide the fact their floppies are only 5.25". Inquiring minds want to know.

3 Likes

It reminds me of an old joke:

Have you heard about the latest virus?

It turns your 5.25" hard drive into a 3.5" floppy.

4 Likes

Yeah, I had one that was formatted to 1.8MB (I think) instead of 1.44 and I could only use it on an IBM PS/2.

EDIT: I also remember using a word processor (i.e. a typewriter with an LED screen and some form of file system) during college. It used something smaller than 3.5" disks but I can’t remember if it was some proprietary format for that machine. The person who owned it had just the one floppy disk that came with the machine. I borrowed the machine for the last paper that I wrote for college. The disk started crapping out the night that I was trying to finish; I vaguely recall loading what I could (where ever I had left off earlier) and then manually typing the rest.

1 Like

This isn’t really news, is it? http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/60-minutes-shocked-to-find-8-inch-floppies-drive-nuclear-deterrent/

Hard to imagine that anything would have changed significantly in just two years…

2 Likes

Yeah I heard this story a year or two ago too.

1 Like

10 Likes

:heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::yellow_heart:
(my replacement for likes, since I never have enough)

3 Likes

Nope, it’s been the same story since late 1960s.

3 Likes

Don’t wory about the software. The hardware doesn’t work either:

I’ll bet security has something to do with it. You can’t hack stuff like that.

1 Like

Yeah, but they store the target data right? The worst thing that can happen is that the the nukes can’t launch. All that matters is that our enemies think they will probably launch. Nukes are meant to be stockpiled, not used.

1 Like

Punching a notch on the edge of an 8" floppy would write-protect it. It was the opposite of the way 5.25" write protection worked.

2 Likes

How is a computer built with 8 inch floppy drives going to read a USB stick?

1 Like

You can quite easily hack it, but without any connections to the outside world a hacker would need to breach their physical security to do so, which in theory is much harder. In practice, on the other hand…

That sounds like Amstrad CPC ‘disks’, which were actually weird little tape carts that were awful.

Here is why the pentagon used floppy disks based on Deutschland 83.

2 Likes

At first I read it as “floppy dicks”, as if the missiles were some weird exercise in phallic symbolism.

Fortunately, the Colossus/Guardian network uses magnetic reels and superconducting magnetic cores for storage, which are more reliable than floppies.

But this has only led to other kinds of breakdowns…

12 Likes

I find it totally satisfactory that our strategic rocket forces cannot be controlled remotely with a smartphone app.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just my privilege talking, but the first scenario doesn’t seem like anything to brag about.

2 Likes

Do you really want our ICBM arsenal to be easy to launch?