Pink Floyd unveils cover art for first studio album in 20 years

Oh I agree. He’s a master. I’ve been listening excrutiatingly closely to his playing since I first picked up a guitar, but Pink Floyd was an organism composed of only vital organs. Lose one and the organism dies.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Aside from being their last, it’s also their best. The title track is still one of my all time favourite compositions of any artist or genre.
And in my opinion, Roger Waters’ solo stuff exceeds even that. ‘Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking’ is a masterpiece I venture into cautiously, as it just sucks me right in, and the only way out is all the way to the end.

2 Likes

I feel like the period between Syd’s departure and Roger’s was defined by an antagonistic collaboration (often the best kind) between Waters and Gilmour (Weird and Gilly). Through Wish You Were Here I think the sides were balanced, but starting with Animals I think Waters pretty much takes over. I’ve read that Gilmour and Ezrin received The Wall almost fully written and demoed on guitar from Waters, and were simply left to do the orchestration. By The Final Cut I think Gilmour’s basically phoning it in: although I’m personally fond of the album, I do think it suffers overall from that.

I’m definitely a Roger Waters fan (Pink Floyd and after), but the first Pink Floyd album I ever heard was Momentary Lapse of Reason. If I put the little clock radio I had as a tween in the right place in my room by the window I could just get Rock 103 out of Memphis…the only station in a million miles that wasn’t soft rock, pop or (mostly) country. On the night it came out they aired the entire album from start to finish without breaks, and I was completely entranced.

The Endless River… Endless river of what? That’s the question.

I draw the line at 1980.

I love every era of the band, but the years that really stick with me seem to be the ones where Roger was the biggest influence.

I swear, I listened to The Wall in it’s entirety every. single. day. for my entire high school career.

Man- Radio. I miss those days so much I actually feel bad for kids who will never experience anything like that.

Hanging out with Pablo Cruise and Marshall Tucker.

1 Like

Royalties.

2 Likes

No wonder he cracked.

Once you get past the paaaiiiiinnnnn!

Actually the link doesn’t say that Weird and Gilly alludes to Waters and Gilmour. I think Ratel may have just been having a bit of fun.

It doesn’t, and and if you look up Ziggy Stardust generally there’s no mention of Syd Barrett (which surprises me – it’s documented elsewhere), but the connection is painfully clear.

Shame that Eldin wasn’t born a few decades earlier, he could be designing album art for big beautiful LP packaging instead of something that has to look good on a tiny portable screen.

1 Like

If you say so, but I remember that Weird and Gilly were nicknames of blokes in Bowie’s band.

You know, that is my one good radio story. As soon as I got a CD/tape deck that I could make my own mix tapes on for the car, I never listened to radio again. Actually, I have another one about Soundgarden, but that’s mostly about how radio sucks.

What the kids have today in the internet is 1000% better than radio ever was, even in the fictitious mythical golden days. Anything you would possibly want in radio is available whenever you want in podcasts and streaming services where they can find any kind of music anywhere in the world.

Who bitched about his fans, and should they crush his sweet hands? No, he’s talking about Pink Floyd.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.