Play it now: Stick Shift

[Permalink]

Hm, I suspect actually driving stick is not exactly the same as a video game. In fact, the skills may not transfer well. See also: Kung Fu.

Case in point: If you’re actually a guitar player, Guitar Hero is easier on mute.

(Rock Band, actually, is easier if you play)

1 Like

I don’t think driving dynamics realism is the point here. Except for the “demonic lights shooting out of eyes” effect when shifting to third, that happens to all of us.

2 Likes

How about the converse: will 10,000 hours of Guitar Hero make you an actual hero on an actual guitar? I have my doubts.

Strangely, playing lots of Rock Band does actually translate over to actually playing drums.

My drummer back from when I was in a band says it’s the best beginning drums tutorial he’s ever seen.

I have another friend who wanted to learn drums, and read about how one could wire up a MIDI drum kit to Rock Band, so he bought himself a $1300 drum kit and did just that.

Also, have you heard of Rocksmith? It’s basically Guitar Hero but the controller is replaced with a real guitar.

1 Like

“…and oozing exhaust pipes…”

o.k. that just made me o.d. on my homosexuality…

I knew a guy in high school who pulled his out of the floor and waved it around in the air when he was stoned. Does that count?

If memory serves, Guitar Hero 3 stole Rocksmith’s thunder by providing exactly that same experience (if you bought the optional real guitar controller), and combining it with their much larger library of songs.

Must be a later game. I only bought GH3 and 4, both of which I ended up playing on mute, before buying Rock Band 2.

After playing that a bit, I just started playing guitar again.

Related: I have GH 3 and 4, and Rock Band 2 for xbox 360 for sale, if anyone is interested.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.