Proposal to split California into six states will appear on 2016 ballot

The new states would still need approval by supermajority from congress, no?
So, preposterous or not (and it is), it’s also a complete non-starter.

I assume LA will be happy paying what will now be more expensive export rates and newly enacted interstate tariffs for all that water going down the California Aqueduct.

Also, two data points (2008 used as it didn’t hae an incumbant)::

1. Precint map for 2008
  2. Same map, distorted to make area proportional to the number of votes

This proposal, like most of the “split up CA” proposals, puts the major population areas in a minority of of the resulting subdivisions. This would effectively be a way to gerrymander CA’s electoral votes by diluting the progressive–leaning urban areas 2:4 or 3:3 with the with the more conservative rural aras in the central valley and elsewhere.

Oh, and remeber that nothing can “never happen” when we live in an age vote tamering and various questionable election results.

3 Likes

Interesting, but I’d rather see some combining done so that the country has fewer states, not more.

Apparently you Americans don’t like the one without the other, as we Brits learned to our cost :smiley:

5 Likes

Once again, tea-chugging extremists who are unable to cram their right wing policy proposals down the throats of the more moderate Californian electorate conclude that they no longer want to be part of the state. And so in an act of self-serving faux patriotism, they are attempting to create their own little havens of like-minded racially-intolerant, avaricious, socially-regressive knuckleheads.

Hmmm. Should this foolhardy, highly improbable attempt at multiple-statehood be approved by all of the powers that be, make it onto the ballot, get approved by the electorate, survive the inevitable court challenges, and actually come to pass …

… shall we count how long it takes for these short-sighted, narrow-minded fools and their newly elected representatives to appeal to the federal government for massive subsidies and other financial support?

IIRC a few decades ago, there was an idea to split CA into three parts? I think I was a callow ant when I saw that on one of the local news.

Such a waste of time. Asshole billionaires strike again.

As a citizen of a small state I like the electoral college for the very reason that it does give disproportionate representation to smaller states above that expected from the popular vote. The constitution is built on a bunch of compromises on purpose and one or the other side or sides of an issue will not like the solution. The intention is to make it so the president has to win in each state so to speak but lately the result is that a few swing states with a large amount of electoral votes become the focus. Today it is Ohio and Florida, maybe in future years it could be somewhere else (one of the Californias suggested)

Having the presidential election be determined instead by popular vote will result in the same effect as the electoral college, places which overwhelmingly vote against a candidate don’t get the president they voted for. You would eliminate the one chance that a loser of the popular vote wins the electoral college vote.

Here is an electoral college reform that will blow your mind, and I suspect is the complete opposite direction you intend: The presidential candidates must run in each state and must collect a majority of states to win the election rather than electoral votes or national popular vote. Then we small states will get our just dues, and the big ones will want to secede.

1 Like

I was going to mention that once I got through the comments. The NPR piece I heard yesterday in fact did mention this, and I think that is the real reason why this guy wants to split the state up. We have had some of the same stuff here in GA, though with counties. The richer, whiter, red part of a county wants to split off from the poorer, blacker, bluer part. We’ve also had a rash of unincorporated areas wanting to become cities in the past 5 years or so. It’s all about resource allocation and gerrymandering, I think.

2 Likes

All that money wasted. Coulda helped some kids. Anyway, none of the Ess Eff snobs would ever condescend to live in “Silicon” anything.

1 Like

States are abstractions. I’m pretty sure the reasons for getting rid of the electoral college have to do with the majority of people getting the president they want. That would seem to me to be substantially more important than the majority of arbitrarily defined geographic areas getting the president they want.

2 Likes

“proponents say it would… solve the state’s water issues,…”

In your dreams, buddy.

Can we at least make an East California just to make Kim Wilde happy?

1 Like

That’s hilarious. I’m from Eureka, up in “Jefferson” State. Sure, we could charge big bucks for all the water that the rest of Cali strongarms from us, but it will NEVER happen. Our area is overwhelmingly rural, and the parts that aren’t rural tend to be very very very blue. We’re the hippies and weirdos holding tree sit ins and such sitting right next to the loggers, farmers and ranchers. Somehow, we all manage to get along. I can’t see that happening if we’re forced into our own state.

1 Like

The breakaway republics from a fragmented USA (e.g. PACIFICA) are far, far more likely to become reality than this Twinkie of a bill filled with a creamy manure & inequality core.

2 Likes

We also believe that California has the capacity to be independent. And if our ballot initiative succeeds in 2016, the State of California will create a research panel to look into how this could work. We don’t really call it secession, though. We believe it is more like emancipation. After all, a move sovereign California would still be like family to the Americans. Check out our campaign at sovereignca.org

ANYONE WHO liked this post: Please check out www.SovereignCA.org We’re doing it.
“Isn’t California the best candidate for secession, not division? If anything it’s strength is its ridiculous geographic / population size relative to the rest of America.” – Paul Eschaton

From your link:

Sovereign California is the only non-profit organization actively opposing the Six Californias Initiative.

Perhaps that’s because there aren’t any other non-profit organizations that believe there’s any chance of the Six Californias Initiative actually passing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.