Rational horror movie: HELL NO!

[Permalink]

Wonderful! Two thumbs up. Just needs a little more cleaveage.

2 Likes

I’ve long had a pet theory that one of the wellsprings of enthusiasm for role-playing games is the recurring experience of reading or watching a story and imagining all the things the protagonist should do. Conversely, I think this is one of the reasons why horror is a difficult genre to pull off in role-playing games.

3 Likes

They left out the part where the protagonist doesn’t set down the knife while walking through the dark house in which the killer is hiding. And the part where the protagonist turns on the lights to make the house not dark. Otherwise, it’s spot on.

2 Likes

I used to think I would survive most horror movie situations in real life, but then one day I went to Disneyland with some friends and we found ourselves following a mime up an “employees only” ladder behind a building in a semi-hidden area of New Orleans square. A fucking mime. Just because he gestured for us to do so and we didn’t want to be rude.

It turned out that he was just bringing us into a special exhibit about the Disney family, but it just as easily could have been a chamber of horrors where naive tourists are ritualistically slaughtered by lunatics dressed like demented versions of the Seven Dwarfs.

23 Likes

That sounds just like the kind of movie I would like to see!

Heh. Some friends of mine had a couple of remarkably long-lived (but not sane, obviously) CoC characters called the ‘Dynamite Brothers’. ‘Blow it up, blow it up again, then run away and hide’ was their preferred tactic.

That would make a really typical horror film.[quote=“Brainspore, post:5, topic:12481”]
could have been a chamber of horrors where naive tourists are ritualistically slaughtered by lunatics dressed like demented versions of the Seven Dwarfs.
[/quote]

Hey - you peeked at my screenplay!

It’s pretty easy to have rational characters in a horror movie
 just don’t have a lazy writer.

2 Likes

Toyota is really making the rounds these days
 I can’t go very far without seeing their logo. I really really don’t want a new car
 but kudos to them for figuring out I don’t watch TV ads no more!

Once I took a friend to the Cemetery of the Nameless (Friedhof der Namenlosen) in Vienna and it got really late and was dark. We had to pass several factories. No one was there except us and the noises of the plant. My friend said, that this is exactly the moment in a movie when the viewer things: “Why the heck are these people not turning around?”

Btw., not to spoil Before Sunrise but CĂ©line is insane to follow Jesse to that place.

See for your self: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=Friedhof+Der+Namenlosen%2C+Wien%2C+Österreich&data=!1m4!1m3!1d2533!2d16.4997616!3d48.1583072!2m1!1e3!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x476daabd59412c55%3A0x885aa976812ecf29!3m8!1m3!1d24723186!2d-95.677068!3d37.0625!3m2!1i1280!2i728!4f13.1!4m2!3d48.159722!4d16.502643&fid=7

THIS

Seriously, nearly all the terrible defects I notice in movies of any genre are due to the characters being forced from one plot point to the next by terrible decisions not arising in any obvious way from the character’s personality, but by the writer’s laziness or incompetence.

It’s particularly bad in adventure/action/superhero movies, which are often just a series of scenes they needed for the trailers, stitched together haphazardly by people who are only writers in the sense that they can write many of the words in their native language as long as they have a spell-checker.

1 Like

You rang my bell. I watched World War Zzzz last night. Money forever gone. I’m being used to stick things to the shower wall now, because I’m such a sucker.

But if they escaped the cabin, why did they still have to deal with the chainsaw guy?

Now watch this. It’ll make you feel better.

1 Like

Totally raised a smile and a laugh! Now that - that was worth paying for!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.