READ: Lev Grossman's "Magicians" story from Dangerous Women 2

[Permalink]

As far as I can tell, this is not Dangerous Women 2, and is not a follow-up to Dangerous Women. Nor is there a Dangerous Women 3 forthcoming. It’s Dangerous Women Part 2, and is the second of three parts into which Dangerous Women has been divided for paperback publication – it’s not a new work at all.

You’re correct. This was actually published in the first Dangerous Women. This very article on Tor that now has a 10/8/14 publication date (http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/10/dangerous-women-the-girl-in-the-mirror-excerpt) is already on Tor with a 7/29/13 date (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/story-review-the-girl-in-the-mirror-lev-grossman).

The story was new in 2013, but was also incorporated into Grossman’s third novel, so to see it again now would be its third publication. I think someone just goofed up somewhere. :smile:

Given how much BB loves promoting their particular choice of weird art / books / music / et cetera, you’d think at least these articles, of all things, would be where they’d bother to factcheck.

I mean, if their response to criticisms of their journalistic standards is that they’re a hobby blog, not a news site, they could at least bother to get their hobby and interest stories right. :wink:

Dangerous Women Anthology was mostly meh, it was a follow up from the Warriors Anthology which was much better, though the story where space vampires save the earth from invasion was a bit silly. The Lev Grossman story is in the Magicians Book so is an excerpt.

That excerpt is the beginning of Chapter 7 of Lev Grossman’s ‘Magician’s Land’. Is the story only that, or is it expanded? An excerpt from an anthology that publishes an excerpt from a novel I’ve already read as a short story isn’t so very interesting …

Now if they’d persuaded Lev Grossman to write the story —which is only background colour in the novel— of how “Betsy”/Asmodeus used the knife she stole from the Chatwin’s suitcase to go fox hunting and take her revenge on a god, well that would be a Dangerous Woman interesting enough to make buying the anthology worthwhile …

1 Like

“Dangerous Women 2”

Not “Again, Dangerous Women?” :smile:

Oh… I see it’s part two and not a sequel. Never mind.

[quote=“aeon, post:6, topic:45503, full:true”]
That excerpt is the beginning of Chapter 7 of Lev Grossman’s ‘Magician’s Land’. Is the story only that, or is it expanded? An excerpt from an anthology that publishes an excerpt from a novel I’ve already read as a short story isn’t so very interesting … [/quote]
It says original stories by the authors set in their main series’s universe. (This looks to be part of the Legends series of Martin/Dozois anthologies, which have all been new stories.) So, it should be a completely new story.

Looking at the publishing dates, the hardback edition of ‘Dangerous Women’ came out in 2013 while Magician’s Land was published in hardback this year. So assuming it is the same, it would have been a new story when it Martin/Dozois published it.

Thanks for the warning. Warriors was pretty awful. Most of the stories were boring or tediously bad, including GRRM’s contribution (foreshadowing ASoIaF 5, I suppose). David Weber’s vampires vs. aliens thing was so laughable, I couldn’t actually finish reading it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.