Revisiting Prometheus

[Permalink]

1 Like

IMDB spills the beans on the sequel.

Apparently, the Croatian title will be “Prometej 2”. Scary stuff.

Stick an LED throwie in a soda bottle. Easy.

I quite liked, or, perhaps, didn’t virulently hate Prometheus as much as others seem to have. To each their own.

2 Likes

Getting “BoingBoinged” seems to be the current-day equivalent of “Slashdotted”.

1 Like

Pretty much sums it up… Everything Wrong with Prometheus in 4 mins or less

“This is the most gorgeous looking movie That I’ve ever wanted to punch in the face!”

I like Prometheus, yet I realize it is ridiculous and silly. However, I will point out that the Alien movieverse has always tended a little bit toward the silly. So, maybe Prometheus took it a few notches further. But at least it wasn’t AvP territory! I mean really, AvP is just a perma-scar on the entire franchise. Alien going hog-wild in a baby nursery for chrissakes? Yeah. At least Prometheus wasn’t that.

2 Likes

Hardly. His total view counts are bit below 80,000, spread over many months. Slashdot could do that in hours, back in the day.

before beta, before dice, before everything was ruined.

The newbies ruined everything…

I liked the movie but it wasn’t for the scientific accuracy (scientific accuracy is usually more boring). What I liked was the creepy atmosphere and feeling by the crew that they were in way over their heads. The realization that the aliens who piloted the ship in the movie were not only far more advanced but also not exactly friendly and totally capable of destroying themselves with science gone wild was awesome.

The way I look at it, sci-fi films are usually pretty crappy with unrealistic physics, doubtful scenarios and bad acting but if i get some enjoyment out of it, I’m happy.

1 Like

You said basically everything I intended to say. I liked the fact that this mission to discover the origins of humanity was an expedition by a bunch of lunatics funded by a lunatic obsessed with pseudoscience.

And my view of the movie may have been colored by Michael Fassbender. I knew his character was going to be obsessed with Lawrence of Arabia almost instantly. And it’s not that he looks a thing like O’Toole, and it’s not just his appearance. His mannerisms tell the story. Playing an android? He could have chosen to do what Jude Law did in Artificial Intelligence, which was to mimic Brent Spiner. But no, he’s a sentient android who has a Lawrence of Arabia fetish and a hidden agenda, and it’s conveyed almost entirely through emotion. I sometimes wonder how good of a Deckard he would have been. Or Roy.

EDIT: O’Toole, not Olivier. Thank you robotmonkeys for pointing out what an idiot I am. :->

I honestly feel like people were determined to hate this before they ever saw it, and chose to nitpick the things that were intentionally there. It’s not going to go down in cinematic history, sure, but man, people seemed to have missed out on a decent movie that just happened to exist in the Alien universe.

3 Likes

Get off my lawn, before I pour hot grits down your pants!

I think you mean Peter O’Toole!

Damnation! Yes, that’s what I meant. LOL

I knew I should have referred to IMDB before I typed that. It didn’t sound right but I went with it anyway. :-}

Thank you.

I share some of the nitpicks folks have about this flick–mostly the “Oh, look, black alien gooze creeping toward me. Let me take off my helmet so’s I can see it better” piece. But Aliens is just so great that any movie connected to it, even tangentially, is likely to be judged harshly.

According to urban dictionary, “naked and petrified” is actually an import from Stack Exchange. I’m not sure if remember the original slashdot. I remember that I dithered before getting an account, so my uid is more than three digits.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.