RIP, Richard "Datamancer" Nagy

[Permalink]

Holyā€¦ Him and Van Slatt are the reason I found a forum Iā€™d been frequenting for the better part of a decade now. Canā€™t say I knew the guy but still. Sadness.

3 Likes

same here. He is why I build steampunkā€™d cases here in Tokyo. Stupid cars.

3 Likes

A goddamned shame, we exchanged e-mails a while back when I was building a keyboard and he was incredibly helpful all the way along. A great, great guy.

3 Likes

Ouch. Now I regret not having purchased that machineā€¦ not the dead-artist investment angle, but because I think he deserved another ā€œya done greatā€ before we lost him.

The world just became a little less full of wonder.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t commented here in quite awhile. I created this login just to say that I am deeply saddened by this. He was an incredible maker, a charismatic and all around wonderful person. He inspired me, and I think he also generally pushed the ā€˜maker cultureā€™ forward in ways that nobody else had.

I will miss him greatly.

2 Likes

That is dreadful news. His breathtaking work may continue to inspire others, but I canā€™t imagine what else he might have created given the decades more he should have had.

1 Like

His artistic touch will last too impress many more too come. Rest in peace.

1 Like

What a shock. Rich and I exchanged emails after I built the first ā€œVillanizerā€ steampunked guitar, he was such a kind, genuine guy. Unbelievable. Goes to show, take nothing for granted. Rest in Peace DM.

2 Likes

Sad, really sad. He sold me on steampunk when I first thought it was just another silly idea. But his work was original, and it was art.

1 Like

What a bummer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.