Road rage: expert level

oy, this thread.

the issue, at base, is that automobiles are a horrible idea by nearly every metric. this thread illustrates how the cage activates the aggressive, lizard instinct. the cage disables the very human and civil ability to simply say “hey, buddy, do you mind if I get around you right quick?” to your fellow citizen. reasons enough to put a moratorium on driving. but, our economy is rigged on oil (and yes, the military, but there is a sizable interaction) and the culture re-enforces dependance on cars so much that this dependance is assumed and seldom questioned.

that said, my take is as follows: whether on foot or some form of vehicle, when one is in a public space, it is no longer about “me,” it is about “we.” traffic must flow. it is both common sense and common courtesy to not impede others that must also use that space (i.e. do not stand in the doorway, neither literally nor metaphorically.) also a matter of common sense and common courtesy: an automobile can kill (and often does, somewhere in the top 15 of US deaths, IIRC) so aggression and jackassery are uncalled for. between these two maxims, the appropriate response to many traffic situations can be made. if you are dawdling and traffic inches up on you, they are not “tailgating,” you need to get your head in the game. conversely, if you think your time is more valuable than the rest of the folks on the road so that you are justified in driving aggressively, then you are the problem. in either case, letting go of one’s ego is required, something most folks struggle with mightily in any situation, and exacerbated by the cage. I include myself here. I am much happier to have sold my last car over a decade ago.

as my man Mike D once said “let’s give each other a hand out there.” this was in reference to a ferocious slam pit, but sage advice for most situations. but if you can quit driving altogether, that would be super.

thanks.

9 Likes