Robert Scoble "so tired of the privacy advocates"

Well said.

Bespoke ads are part of an online system of surveillance thatā€™s collecting information about you thatā€™s being used in any number of ways, some of which arenā€™t so benign, unlike dumb ads, which arenā€™t. So theyā€™re not exactly an improvement. All the ads I see are for irrelevant shit that I have no interest in buying anyways, and I suspect Iā€™m not alone in that.

Iā€™m not sure I lead an important enough life to spend the time trying to be anonymous. I have very little happening, other than perhaps my bowel habits, that I would mind being shared. And maybe not even those. Most of us lead unremarkable lives whose privacy is not worth protecting since no one really cares. A minority has a lot to lose, and those people need to learn the tools to anonymize themselves. This includes women trying to avoid stalkers, political dissidents, and people who work for large corporations that read their email. You know if you are one of theseā€¦

I can tell you, from my own experience, that the need to be anonymous can change very rapidly. I didnā€™t know i was going to become part of the minority you talk about until the day everything changed in 2003.

It is better to learn how to anonymise yourself (and why you might need to) before a crisis than during it.

3 Likes

A case could be made for privacy as herd inmmunity, if you donā€™t protect your privacy, you are adversely affecting everybody elseā€™s privacy.

Also, the argument is not to make you anonymous, the argument is to not have everything public as default. Privacy as opt out instead of opt in. In other words, that you get a chance to decide what gets shared about you, because today, its not your choice to be public, and asking for privacy is almost impossible.

4 Likes

Can I ask why if youā€™re happy with the status Quo you are now bothered that other people are not happy?

I know you donā€™t want them to just shut up about it, I get that you think that its not important, but clearly other people believe it is important to them, so why canā€™t it be important to them?

Edit:

Just adding that most people do not want to stop any government from getting at peoples data, all most people want is for a lawful and clearly defined channel for this to be created and for limits on how it can be used.

2 Likes

Oh good, we get to have the Nymwars again.

(In which, Scoble was a prominent asshole. ā€œAll this has happened before, and all this will happen again.ā€)

1 Like

I think that being ā€œimportantā€ enough is beside the point. I think weā€™re all important enough to deserve the privacy to live out our lives as freely as possibleā€¦ and as @the_borderer says, things can change rapidly in ways we donā€™t even understand sometimes. All too often why these things matter are often only obvious in retrospect.

5 Likes

And if tuning in for the commercials was a common occurrence, you wouldnā€™t be able to point to a specific example like Super Bowlā„¢. A day after the game ā€“ or even the day of the game, given the the fact that ā€œSuper Bowlā„¢ commercialsā€ are now frequently premiered days before on YouTube ā€“ no one cares. Furthermore, no one sits at home and says, ā€œYou know, that episode of NCIS was pretty good, but you know what would have made it great? More commercials for Kibbles and Bits.ā€

2 Likes

Account activity check: New account, one post to laud Scoble, several likes all to the Scobleā€™s post. Verdict: a sock puppet, or maybe just a shill too dumb to not use a less transparent tactics.

By the time you know, it may be too late. An ounce of preventionā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.