Sarkeesian on sexism in video games, and becoming a hate-target for talking about it

The point is that the creators didn’t sit down to come up with a coherent system of future combat gear based on specific principles, and then discover that it happened to work best if it was skin-tight. They said “Okay, Nova’s costume needs to have a lot of T&A, how can we justify that in-character?”

6 Likes

Again—that’s the pretext, not the real reason. From a storytelling perspective there’s no reason why the Ghosts should all be lithe young women in spandex while the men are all muscle-bound hulks in battle armor. Do you think it’s mere coincidence that StarCraft doesn’t have any characters who look like this?

10 Likes

Um…no. At least not the way men think we do.

7 Likes

But women do find Hawkman underoos attractive, right? If not I’m going to have to rethink that surprise I have planned for my wife.

2 Likes

We love underoos!!

3 Likes

Haven’t you forgotten something? The Ghost suit is not belly and leg free. And actually the male ghost wears pretty much the same amount of armor as the female ones: Male ghost ingame model

Well, I give you the helmet, but this is nothing new, that protagonists rarely wear helmets.

And well, Kerrigan is certainly a woman to be a love interest in the storyline. And Nova, which was created much later as the lead character for the game Starcraft:Ghosts, which was never finished, is mostly a copy of Kerrigan.

He’s wearing magical camo-spandex, just like his female counterparts above. Why, does that look like an odd aesthetic choice for a combat uniform to you? You should see the view from behind.

You really ARE new to this discussion. I find other people have already answered for me (I was just unavailable), but I will go ahead and respond directly here. You’ll see I’m saying the same thing they are.

Did you check out my link posted to The Buttocks of Starcraft II? As I noted above, the women’s butts are all carefully sculpted, while the men’s and bugs’ are pretty deformed or totally hidden. Here’s the issue. Both women and gay men happen to find men’s asses just as attractive as men find women’s asses. (We like them a lot.) We’re not getting fair play because when only counting women (even ignoring any gay men, and that’s not fair either) 40% of players’ sexual fantasies aren’t being catered to within mainstream games (while the others’ - who aren’t a 60% majority - there ARE gay players aren’t) and face it, Ghost armor is only designed to provide eye candy. You also made mention of “belly free battle armor” - here’s the problem - it’s all just mapping over a model. When the armor is skin tight it’s just a cheap way to basically keep a woman naked, and simplify animation.

They aren’t. BOTH are male-driven fantasies catering to men’s desires. They in no way cater to what women want they playing video games. Most women aren’t attracted to men’s ideals of muscular perfection. We correlate them with anger and male dominance (both total turnoffs). We like guys who appear healthy, but not overly-built. The minute veins start popping out, we worry.

Um, speak for yourself. You’re talking about a guy who (thanks to fan votes), “In 2002, Gordon won a Gemini Award for Canada’s Hottest Star, where he was the clear favorite among all the 17th Annual Gemini nominees.” It also sounds like you just weren’t around yet when the rabid Ripley fans for Alien and Aliens were released. I suggest you go look up just how many fan pages are still dedicated to Ripley. The only reason such an old example is getting used is because they are so rare! That should tell you a real problem exists.

Brainspore has already helpfully explained that Ghost armor is designed on a pretext. Here’s one more reference image for you.

That image goes with THIS article.

https://thereaganwing.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/how-to-find-a-good-wife-or-husband/

I found both while image googling the terms “woman karate”. I’d intended to close with an image of decent fighting pants. The image is a prime example of what a sexualized female fighter is. She’s nothing but fetish fun, without any self worth. Putting a solidly-written main character into that kind of outfit without doing the same to comparative males actually lessens her worth. Think about it: It’s a trick. She supposedly has the upper hand because she’s winning the fight in the picture, but the reality is that her artist has made her lose the “bigger fight” by putting her into a demeaning costume for all to ogle. On a broader scale, the artist is actually attacking all women.

4 Likes

At first glance I thought that was Peter Pan.

2 Likes

It’s the shoes!

2 Likes

P.S. I recommend people actually visit the “How to Find A Good Wife (or Husband)” article. It’s actually a horrid antifeminism article.

“In feminist theory, there is no such thing as a “good man”. The emotions rule the intellect, with no exceptions. No wonder so many women become strippers.”

That’s neoprene, not spandex.

I’ve found that most people I talk to just like to play games that are less worried about what they look like and more concerned with if there are believable characters making consistent choices that create interest in these characters and the world they inhabit.

Like most storytelling really.

Oh I’m worried about that. I’ve turned off games where stupidity has run rampant and destroyed game play. The thing is, what seems like a logical, consistent choice to you, may not be a logical choice to another person (note the “backstory” discussion above) — and about those “believable characters”, I’ll show you a couple of male statuettes (from Blizzard).

Tychus Findlay in suit:

Tychus just in pants.

Tell me where his belly and arms went. There’s no consistency in male char dev there, and he’s a primo example of “male power fantasy”. There aren’t a lot of chicks looking for that in a fantasy. Seriously, that’s not exciting. Your possible excuse “he’s a marine” - so then why does he have massive arms with a gut? Here’s a photo of some ACTUAL Royal Marines.

Not a belly among 'em. :slight_smile:

Blizzard’s depictions of robot body armor have bugged me for a long time, mostly because they don’t make even a cursory attempt to depict something a human being could actually wear. It’s such a crazy exaggeration of a masculine power fantasy that it makes Tony Stark’s wardrobe look like a body stocking.

How the fuck is a soldier supposed to get his arms inside those sleeves without ripping them off at the shoulder? Or are the wearer’s actual arms pinned tightly to his sides while the suit’s arms are controlled with little joysticks?

5 Likes

Yep, even pinned they wouldn’t fit because the actual bulk of the muscle for anyone that large typically makes it hard for them to hold their arms close in to their sides. Then add the gut and there’s just no room for the body to fit - the waist is too small. They’d pretty much have to be detachable heads controlling a full robotic suit.

I’m saying this even though I have friend who works at Blizzard!

1 Like

Not at all. Just look at those acres of exposed elbow-flesh.

1 Like

Art-deco batpants are always sexy.

1 Like

Traditionally played by a girl, so it’s an easy mistake :wink:

This is probably why I don’t play a lot of things from Blizzard…