Sarkeesian on sexism in video games, and becoming a hate-target for talking about it

That’s only if they don’t speak English.

6 Likes

You now that Kerrigan also played a major role in the first Starcraft and that her sexy suit was never shown there? In Starcraft that was what was shown of Kerrigan: Kerrigan SC1

Saying that they simply made up the lead character of the game, with her psy powers and role as a ghost being the main reason of her to become the leader of one the three alien factions and the main enemy in SC2 (WoL) was just an afterthought to cover up the sexy babe is simply wrong. Or she really made a great career out of her sexy ass, that couldn’t even been seen in the first game unless you count those ~8 pixels of the inGame model. ^^

I disagree. And I know I’m right on this one.

3 Likes

@Falcor is correct, I can’t make you see the sexism if you’re dead set on not seeing it. But this statement just gave me the chuckles.

[quote=“SentinelBorg, post:67, topic:33124”]actually the male ghost wears pretty much the same amount of armor as the female ones
[/quote]

4 Likes

How about we compare backs to backs?

Male ghost ingame model from behind:

Are you implying that a woman isn’t as capable as a man? Sexist oppressor! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

About the topic of no female marines in Starcraft:

First I wanted to say, that I actually served with 6 women (the first at that army location) during my basic military service 10 years ago. They were capable and did fine, even though their lower average body strength still became a issue from time to time.

I also really like the Mass Effect games, which has female soldiers. But that is a different universe with a lot of other premises than Starcraft.

Starcraft and its related universe was designed in the mid 1990s, a time were women were still not allowed to have a combat role in most armies.
In a lot of ways, Starcraft is a blatant copy of the Warhammer 40k universe, mixed up with some space western elements. It is by design not a utopian human society, but one with all the bad things including sexism. And yes, it is catered to man, which even today count for the large majority of RTS players.

In the Starcraft universe it makes perfect sense, that marines are all males. Marines in that game are the most disposable unit on the battlefield. In a total war, were the whole existence of your species is put into question, you don’t put women in the front lines except maybe for a last stand. Unlike men, women can bear new children and so new soldiers. Instead you better conscript the most disposable humans around … prisoners, which apparently also in the Starcraft future are mostly males. Btw, even today only a few countries have even laws that would allow them to conscript women. ^^

So that is why Starcraft only has women as pilots, medics and special agents/forces (the Ghost fits both roles).

1 Like

Well I, for one, am glad we finally cleared all that up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.