Scientist who proved existence of gluten intolerance challenges himself

It’s not particularly sensational to change your mind. But it is fairly rare for somebody to do this kind of incredibly detailed fact-check of their own work. Usually, some other researcher does that, comes back to you with a challenge, and then you have to prove you can replicate the results you got before. It’s impressive that this guy didn’t even wait for that and went straight questioning his own work so quickly.

6 Likes

I have a pet theory: If gluten didn’t sound so much like glutton (in the context of food), going glutton free… ahem, I mean gluten free wouldn’t be as much of a thing.

I make what we call gluten steaks all the time and they are delicious.

1 Like

“It’d be nice to find something a little more trustworthy.”
Totally agree. After having fallen down more than one very convincing internet rabbit-hole promising to cure all my auto-immune symptoms by simply excluding every single thing that brings me joy to cook and eat, I would dearly, dearly love to see some solid science that says either “this considerable sacrifice may have some chance of impacting my health beneficially, and is therefor worth attempting”, or else “carry on eating wheat & tomatoes & things made from seeds, you are doing yourself no harm”. It is very hard to sort the pseudo-science crap from the potentially-useful advice, when the stakes are as high as “one of life’s greatest pleasures” and “your life-long health”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.