Self-help meets real science

[Permalink]

A ****load of bogosity in the video examples. If thatā€™s typical of the book, itā€™s in the ā€œburn before readingā€ category.

This one is :59, does it mean the next will be longer? Because Iā€™ll be prepared to accept it. NOT.

Pesco writes

Richard Wiseman is the professor of Public Understanding of Psychology at the UKā€™s University of Hertfordshire. His last book, Paranormality: Why We See What Isnā€™t There, was about the psychology of so-called supernatural experiences. His newest book, 59 Seconds: Change Your Life In Under A Minuteā€¦

Paranormality was published in 2011. 59 Seconds was published in 2010. Unless thereā€™s been a major change in how integers are ordered, I believe Paranormality is Wisemanā€™s newest book.

And as Technogeek notes, the book has its moments of bogosity. Better than your average self-help book to be sure, but not the myth-busting ode to rationality it promises either.

Wow, these make a lot of strange assumptions.

Thanks! Fixed!

Like what?

Iā€™m not an expert in psychology so Iā€™m intrigued as to what problems Iā€™m missing in the video.

1 Like

Hey David,

May I post one character on BoingBoingā€™s front page?

Pretty Please?

How about; may I post one character on BoingBoingā€™s front page because reasons?

Thanks so much.

Iā€™ve always wondered how learning something or getting instruction from a book gets to be called ā€˜self-helpā€™.

Itā€™s literally the reader being helped by someone else (ie the author).
The only probable way a self-help book is ā€˜self-helpā€™ is if the reader is also the author.

It means thereā€™s no chance someone might see you going into a ā€“ horror of horrors ā€“ therapistā€™s office.

1 Like

all self help is bs

1 Like

Self improvement is masturbation.

heh i should point out that Iā€™m trying the ā€œPlaying cards against Humanityā€ thread - the rule is to post in two unrelated threads so that their names make a joke on the leaderboard of the most-recently-commented threads. For all I know, perhaps Self-help is not akin self indulgent circle jerk. YMMV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.