Selfie from 1909

[Permalink]

1 Like

This is pretty amazing.
But it was apparently Rembrandt who, years earlier, pioneered the duck-face selfie:

14 Likes

Huh. And all this time, I’ve been going around calling them “self-portraits.” As if they were drawn or painted portraits… of one’s self.

Panache! I also like the first photo selfie (1839):

1 Like

Really struck me as looking “not at all old”. Maybe because it is something of a candid portrait, maybe its her eyes --not sure. Definitely going to check out her work.

2 Likes

Her arm looks too real!

1 Like

OK, I’ll say it: a whole lot more attractive than most modern selfies.

2 Likes

Wow. Just clicked through all her pictures. Wow.

1 Like

I’m fond of this one by Marianne von Werefkin, who was clearly a werewolf. It’s right there in her name.

1 Like

I’m going with this. Not just her own, though. She’s really good at eyes and expressions. Having a wander through her work was like a nice warm bath for my soul. Just lovely.

And this… A really good print of this would look great on the walls of the Palais du Martian.
Another selfie from 1900. Great instagram filters on this.

3 Likes

My favourite is this one: http://uploads1.wikiart.org/images/zinaida-serebriakova/girl-with-a-candle-self-portrait-1911.jpg
One of my favourite artists anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

My favourite would have to be M.C. Escher’s:

6 Likes

Picasso’s selfies evolved over the course of his career…

1 Like

There’s a manga-esque quality to those eyes.

Albrecht DĂĽrer did self-portraits his entire life, but the one from when he was 21 could easily be a modern selfie:

4 Likes

Well said. I think it’s good for the soul because her work has soul.

1 Like

**Girl with a Pearl Earring Selfie**  >The Vermeer mashup represents one of the internet

7 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I need to see more by this artist.

I’m always a bit thrown when I see an 100 year or more photo, or photorealistic painting where the person looks so contemporary

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.