Shopper and much of shop falls into floor below after worker removes load-bearing wall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/27/shopper-and-much-of-shop-falls-into-basement-after-worker-removes-load-bearing-wall.html

4 Likes

No, but there’s a Fawlty Towers episode about it.

9 Likes

I recognize the handyman’s technique from every HGTV show ever. “Let’s take out this wall and open up the room!”

11 Likes

Science-fiction? The plot device goes back to (at least) the Agatha Christie detection story Blindman’s Buff.

1 Like

The Ground Is Lava.

1 Like

That mannequin got lucky, they were 2 feet from having a new job downstairs.

3 Likes

Sounds more like Chuck Tingle than Agatha Christie to me.

6 Likes

If you think that was wacky, wait til you see what happens when we remove this bridge support!

Load-bearing walls, eh? How do they even work?

1 Like

I would think that it’s more like the Floorboard Failure trope than the floor is lava.

Worker’s mistake, or tofu dreg construction?

1 Like

I bet it’s just a viral ad for the store’s “half off” sale.

3 Likes

I hope the mannequin was given a closing credit. Without that dramatic flop on the ground, this whole film would have been pretty meh

2 Likes

Why not both?

The word Chabuduo is offered as the cultural gravity point at hand. Meaning “close enough,” it is depicted here as a powerful and useful concept in earlier times (think: improvisation, effectiveness, ingenuity) that has become dangerous in the context of modern life (think: slapdash, jobsworth, irritable.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.