Short documentary puts World War II fatalities into context

[Read the post]

Very well done. You can “know” that 20 million Soviets died during WW2, but seeing it put it perspective as the “bodies” stacked higher and higher…and higher (Me: “Jesus!”), showed me what that number meant in a way that a chapter in a history book would never be able to do.

9 Likes

While it happened during WW-II the Holocaust was not so much combat casualties, or even civilian casualties as part of warfare, since while Jews were tolerated at varying levels, they were not really considered by many to even be normal or valued citizens to be threatened for compliance. It is more that the war brought convenience and a wartime sense of urgency and expediency to the German final solution to the world’s Jewish(being alive) problem. The Nazis killed a far higher proportion of an unarmed, non-threatening, non-combatant, and a mostly de-facto stateless people than even the total of countries and peoples absorbed into the USSR.
(edit)I believe that the numbers fall roughly 40% killed by the final solution, 30% in North America, and 30% elsewhere worldwide including hiding in Europe. It effectively eliminated from the world the native speaking of Yiddish which is only now found among hobbyists, very elderly immigrants and ex-soviets, and a few heradi Jewish sects.

Agreed!

“Knowing” the numbers and seeing them scaled like that are two very different things.

Watching that video was 20 minutes well spent.

1 Like

Nobody is going to point the most surprising thing?

The History Channel making actual history documentaries!

5 Likes

If you’ve never seen the Russian film “Come and See” (Иди и смотри) about the German invasion of Belarus, you owe it to yourself. As Roger Ebert said “one of the most devastating films ever, about anything.”

1 Like

It has Nazis in it so it’s been allowed.

6 Likes

I never thought that a bar chart could make you cry. Now I know.

6 Likes

There is some interesting stuff hidden in the numbers-- the fact that the Wermacht had so few casualties right up until the invasion of Poland shows how they thought “Hey, the USSR will be a piece of cake.”

I recall seeing some neo-Nazi complaining in youtube comments about how the Soviets only won because of overwhelming numbers, like this was a football game or something, and “the better team lost.”

1 Like

The Soviets only won because the Nazis were so bad they made Stalin and twenty million deaths fighting the Nazis seem better.

2 Likes

I couldn’t finish watching.

1 Like

Seeing the proportion of population to deaths by war/atrocity was breathtaking. Why weren’t we taught about things like An Lushan’s rebellion in school?

1 Like

Because it doesn’t fit the narrative the history writers want exposed to the public school. kids?

1 Like

The An Lushan numbers are suspect. The 36M dead is based on a comparison of census information gathered before and after the rebellion (around 760 CE). Many millions were definitely killed but the “after” number was likely made much smaller by a) the aftermath of the violence made census work difficult, and b) two provinces were lost and weren’t counted at all.

Assume the US has a civil war and most major cities were bombed, a lot of roads and bridges destroyed, and, say California and the Pacific Northwest seceded during the conflict. If the next census showed the US population is 220 million it would not mean 100 million people died.

2 Likes

You should. The end is not so bleak.

2 Likes

I almost didn´t click subscribe when I saw thw History Channel logo, but when I checked, it was the only video on that youtube channel.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.