Showing the rings of Saturn to Bronx street sex workers

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Ah, this is great. Humanizing street sex workers might garner more needed empathy and compassion. It’s like taking at-risk kids out of their element and somewhere beautiful (out camping, hiking, etc.) which is usually a mutually rewarding and enlightening experience for everyone involved.

7 Likes

Wonderful! This begs for a mention of a movie produced by the inventor of the Dobsonian telescope mount.

http://telescopepictures.com/synopsis/

It is always so much fun and so rewarding to show people the wonders of the universe, with their own eye. I’m so impressed that they got a good view when it wasn’t even fully dark yet. :smiley: Made my day.

1 Like

I bet he got some funny looks when he asked them if they wanted to see his telescope.

2 Likes

I just got home from a sidewalk astronomy session in a pedestrian-friendly shopping district near home, and I saw this. Call me Mario, because I’ve been seriously 1-upped.

4 Likes

Queue Uranus jokes.

It is great to see that there really is a world outside of your neighborhood, your city.

3 Likes

I followed the jump to his Flickr feed last night and found myself unable to turn away at all of these human beings being shown as–well–human beings. (Consequently I am exhausted this morning.) This is amazing work. Thank you for sharing it.

2 Likes

This posting reminded me of one of my favorite podcasts from the ‘365 Days of Astronomy’ site. They cover a wide range of topics about astronomy and this particular one was just a short presentation about how the simple act of one guy looking up at the night sky in a Nashville parking lot was a catalyst to bring a disparate group of people together.
The podcast and its transcript are still available here:
Notes from a parking lot 9-21-2009

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.