Slack: team communications tool that works, beautifully

Sucks to be you then, I guess :wink:

Well, I work on Firefox for a living so I don’t think so. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t say meetings, I said the conference room. As in “Hey Bob, let’s get some coffee and hash this out.”

For little things, if it’s a small company, usually an email, or actually getting up and walking to Bob’s desk, always sufficed for me. The thirty seconds to walk to someone’s desk wasn’t something we needed to optimize away, and helped to break up the monotony.

I’m not saying for you all to trudge over. I’m saying that for a small team, you can walk to the guy’s desk or shoot an email just as easily as texting. The fifteen seconds to walk to my co-worker’s desk was not a major bottleneck to productivity, and helped to make things more personal and break up the day. If the problem is more complicated, a couple of you trudge over to the conference room and mess with the whiteboard for a bit.

Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but I’ve worked in software dev environments that are more analog and ones that have all the team communications tools, and I personally find the ones without all the tools to be more engaging and productive, and pleasant to work in. If I’m sitting across the room from someone, I’d much rather talk to them in person than type everything into a screen while staring him down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.