Small-town 911 calls fascinating, heartening

[Permalink]

2 Likes

My brother is a dispatching supervisor for an affluent suburb; this is what his day is made of, but also includes a sense of entitlement from the callers.

1 Like

Earlier on Boing Boing, more lighthearted police coverage. :smile:

It’s refreshing to keep a balanced perspective. Most police are honest, hard-working, and helpful. Most have truly good intentions, seek to serve their communities, and put up with a lot, including trivia.

I hope they understand that we value them and that efforts to strengthen accountability to weed out and prosecute the few bad actors are in their best interest as well as ours.

In valor there is hope. – Tacitus

3 Likes

I like to think that all those callers are the same person getting more and more frothingly indignant, until the large duck shows up and calmly defuses the situation(s).

7 Likes

I wonder if they will bring that duck to their secret extra-legal black hole detention center in Chicago.

7 Likes

Not sure if BoingBoing has ever posted this before, but the Kalispell, Montana ‘Flathead Beacon’ online police blotter is incredibly entertaining.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/section/police-blotter/

Representative sample:

Wed, February 4, 2015
BY CHRISTIE BURNS
A Kalispell man reported that his tenant busted through the garage wall and stole his generator.
MORE FROM WED, FEBRUARY 4, 2015
Tue, February 3, 2015
BY CHRISTIE BURNS
A woman on Ashley Hills Drive is missing her little white Maltese Yorkie poodle type animal.
MORE FROM TUE, FEBRUARY 3, 2015
Mon, February 2, 2015
BY CHRISTIE BURNS
There is an ongoing dog barking issue on Cayuse Lane.
MORE FROM MON, FEBRUARY 2, 2015
Thu, January 29, 2015
BY CHRISTIE BURNS
An employee of a local business has video footage of a coffee mug robbery.
MORE FROM THU, JANUARY 29, 2015
Wed, January 28, 2015
BY CHRISTIE BURNS
An employee of a local business may be able to solve the case of the stolen gumball machines.
MORE FROM WED, JANUARY 28, 2015
Mon, January 26, 2015
BY CHRISTIE BURNS
A woman on Holt Stage reported that a silver hatchback filled with candy machines tore through her yard early this morning.

6 Likes

To my immense disappointment, the link you’ve linked to no longer works.

The story looked interesting, and now I’ll never know what happened…

6:21 p.m. Report of two missing Nigerian dwarf goats, Wheeler Rd

1 Like

None can top the Police Log from the Arcata Eye.

http://www.arcataeye.com/category/police-log/

2 Likes

I thought that was my town for a moment (Massachusetts).
My favorite one I’ve ever read was a report of large amounts of black smoke coming from a chimney. When investigating, officers determined that the owner was burning a rubber raft in his wood stove…

3 Likes

My personal favorite, The Sitting Falcon.

1:02 a.m. Caller reporting a falcon sitting in the snow and
not moving, Marshall St.

2 Likes

“2:16 a.m. Caller reports drunk driver in Patton St., Illinois. Caller was in wrong state”

I came here to post that.

Do any British police forces publish this kind of information? I’d love to read some to see if they measure up to this excellence.

The call about the possum on the porch being ‘sick or lost’ is typical of a an animal with rabies. That’s pretty dangerous. Especially if a child tried to ‘help’ it.

That call was legit in my book, too. Several rabid skunks were trapped in my neighborhood over the last year or so. Sheriff’s Department actually wants us to call 'em in.

Every week in Boston Karson and Kennedy (a radio show) read highlights from the Wellesley Police Blotter (Wellesley is a well-off town). At first I thought this might be related to that.

I imagine our Green Ink Brigade could put them to shame :smiley:

10:24 a.m. Caller reports message left on voicemail from the IRS.

Help! The IRS wants my money! :fearful: