Snappy response to sexist harrasser

This Cambridge Classicist Mary Beard has a much more nuanced way of dealing with trolls and likely has much more impact on the troll - from the Granuaid:

2 Likes

Still, the best response to anything:

You created an account to post this?

Pray tell, do you have any writings that have 3k fans?

2 Likes

HAKUNA MATATA

Good to see thereā€™s no shortage of people who know how she could have handled it better. You should drop her a line and tell her sheā€™s doing it wrong!

7 Likes

I know man! How dare people have an opinion on something someone else has done? Disgusting behaviour

1 Like

Whatā€™s even worse is when someone has an opinion on their opinions! Thatā€™s justā€¦ wait what are we talking about again?

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh, OK. Whereā€™s the one you think this is derivative of?

Yeah, she probably wouldnā€™t take on board your unsolicited critique of how she handled the abusive tweet. Better to let it go.

Poor suggestion on my part.

Since the comments section is the perfect place for such pedantry, wouldnā€™t using Hubble to search for the manā€™s penis mean that it is the size of a planetary body?

Really should have left that line out.

1 Like

Yeah I thought the same. Iā€™m actually pretty sure Iā€™ve heard the ā€œbe the best asshole you can beā€ schtick somewhere before (although I donā€™t think thatā€™s a valid criticism of the post under discussion since it was put to great use there), Iā€™m not sure it was Tina Fey though, and her snappy comeback as posted was pretty average.

So you think you should be free to criticise as you see fit, but those you criticise should just shut the fuck up and wear it. Right. Gotcha.

4 Likes

Why hasnā€™t she taught her spellcheck to recognize ā€œdickhead?ā€ Turn the thing off if youā€™re not going to pay attention to it.

Also there are two typos, not one, and a hyphen or en-dash where there should be an em-dash.

Maybe she should send back a survey asking those questions. Could have very interesting results. (Yes, I know none of them would actually fill out a survey, or at least, do it honestly.)

Hey guys. This is Brianna Wu.

I would like to share something with you. When you are a woman in the games industry, you are hit over the head CONSTANTLY with people (almost always men) instructing you what you can say, when you can say it, the tone you can use and other kinds of nitpicking.

That is to say, I think the very petty criticism youā€™re displaying here is unconsciously part of the patriarchy. As Leigh Alexander so brilliantly wrote, ā€œOne component of sexism is that men tend to inherently expect that what they say is valuable, and that a statement from a woman cannot possibly stand alone without their contributions.ā€

To be more direct, itā€™s extremely unlikely that any of you receive the amount of threats, harassment or general amount of obloquy I do. I do not need or want your advice on how to deal with this.

As far as the grammar, I banged this email out in about 3 minutes while on vacation on a whim. Yeah - I made two typos. If your primary reaction to the RIDICULOUS amount of harassment women in the games industry get is pointing out typos? Well, I canā€™t help you.

Bri

PS - If youā€™re interested, here is an article I wrote outlining the amount of harassment I and other women in the industry get. http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5926193/women-gaming-harassment

20 Likes

Also, Emotional Maturity.

Regardless of their physical age, many abusive commenters, sexist and otherwise, seem to be stuck in their early teens emotionally.

1 Like

the clear implication being that first she would sever his penis and launch it into deep space, before conducting a search with the Hubble telescope.

itā€™s not surprising that this unambiguous threat of bodily harm has gone uncriticized and even lauded by feminists!

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure I canā€™t be alone in lamenting that we hadnā€™t had the benefit of your valuable insights prior to 11:50am today. Iā€™m sure youā€™re quite busy, what with so many people on the internet Doing It Wrong, and Iā€™m happy you finally found the time to share your thoughts here. I for one look forward to your future contributions to the conversations here, and in particular more of your trenchant thoughts about sexism and trollery. Iā€™m thinking the latter is something you have quite a bit to say about.

8 Likes

#NOTALLMEN

5 Likes