Snappy response to sexist harrasser

To continue this thought, I know a LOT of men in the games industry. The ones I know are mostly in their late 30’s with families and children. Every single one of them would call themselves feminists, and every single one does their best to call out this sort of harassment when it happens. So yes, I think this is most prevalent in younger men.

The other problem that a woman in games gets is that a lot of your harassment comes from the people who consume your product, in addition to what you might be getting from your workplace. It’s a double whammy when you don’t get support from your co-workers.

So you got some criticism directed at you, and what do you know? You got out your axe and started grinding.

Sits fairly poorly with your earlier comment:

Apparently, you do.

1 Like

I have no problems with criticism directed against myself, however, I do have problems with profanity (which you have escalated to) and you haven’t engaged any of my points.

Hey, person who joined up yesterday, I’m sorry if you have problems with profanity. It’s part of the way myself and others engage here and it is well tolerated. Perhaps BB is not for you.

I have a problem with you PMing me. Please don’t.

If you feel they’re unworthy of comment, that’s fine, but I think it should be stated as such. At present, I think you’re derailing the comments section.

Do you? Do you Moooltypass? Well, consider that opinion duly fucking noted.

Might I observe that your comments seem to have evolved somewhat beyond the confines of whether the tweet in question was in fact a snappy comeback or not. It’s almost like you just came here and joined up to bring the fight to Spacekatgal.

5 Likes

9 Likes

“In general, most of the weakness stems from the implicit assumption that you and your friends are a representative cohort, and so it’s appropriate to extend these experiences as truths across a greater population.”

That is an absurd statement to make about someone whose stated scope is clearly their own industry.

Nice backhanded dig on her engineer credentials as well.

Really, the whole thing is a masterwork of trolling under the guise of reason. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Technically, this wouldn’t count as mansplaining since that’s usually reserved for things that are self-evidently correct or obvious. (Unless I’m misunderstanding the usage of the word)

I would contend that his statement is absolutely neither of those things, in context.

A cultural History of Mansplaining traces the term back to a 2008 op-ed: Men who explain things

Men explain things to me, and to other women, whether or not they know what they’re talking about. Some men. Every woman knows what I mean. It’s the presumption that makes it hard, at times, for any woman in any field; that keeps women from speaking up and from being heard when they dare; that crushes young women into silence by indicating, the way harassment on the street does, that this is not their world. It trains us in self-doubt and self-limitation just as it exercises men’s unsupported overconfidence.

3 Likes

Manspaining is telling women that you know more about something than they do or you perceive something more accurately than they do, particularly when it is their field and/or something experienced largely by women. This qualifies on both counts.

6 Likes

Noblesse oblige.

If you can slip the metaphorical razor into their sensitive bits, you can cause all sorts of responses that cause shame. Like unleashing uncontrolled spasms of internetisms, which may leave them feeling powerful and in control, but once off that high, undignified and shameful in the light of the eloquent parry that caused the anger to well up.

1 Like

I am a Meister Troll!

Your post does in fact read like it was written by a “condescending jerk”, as you say further down this thread.

The paraphrasing of Leigh Alexander is not useful in any way; the fact that Men are capable of having the same experiences in the workplace is not relevant–the point is that for much more of the time, they do not have the same experiences.

You may have also missed the statement where Brianna mentioned, “I do not need or want your advice on how to deal with this.” You basically stated that the way she was handling the problem was incorrect or inadequate, without really knowing how she handles herself on a day-to-day basis. Based, in fact, on a twitter post, and a likely copy-paste response that she has been dropping on many such forums as this.

If you were only trying to be helpful, or provide meaningful constructive criticism, you have failed in doing so. While your post could be argued to have technical merit, its tone is not one of support or solidarity for the author who clearly was asking only for those two things.

1 Like

Men get a pass, exactly as you said. I encountered it directly again today when I was at my office.

I humbly try to be part of the solution, not the problem. But I do tend to make jokes :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.