Sony RX10 and Alpha 7 cameras: a superzoom and a full-frame interchangeable lens compact

[Permalink]

1 Like

I’m fairly happy with the RX100 but appalled by how sensitive it is to weather conditions. I tried to take a few shots outside in the (uncommon) snow of SE England last winter and it simply stopped operating. It wasn’t even below freezing outside. It was probably like 5C and I had only been outside with it for a couple minutes.

1 Like

Steep price for the A7 cameras? Uhm, no. For what you get, these are priced fantastically well.

I bought my rx100 after seeing a random link about it, here on BoingBoing. I had been thinking about getting a pro-level camera, but was worried about the learning curve and portability. Said link – and some further research – convinced me that this semi-pro compact was a better choice. I’ve been taking a photography class, and my little camera is consistently performing at the level of models that cost twice as much. Everybody’s like, “what camera are you using?!?” :wink:

The good news/bad news is that I’m discovering that I really like taking pictures, and I’m starting to run up against the (few) limitations of the rx100. Good to know that Sony is continuing the same philosophy with some more advanced models.

Agreed. What other full frame interchangeable lens camera can you get for $2000 including lens? The Nikon D610 and Canon 6D are both running around $2500 at the moment (Canadian prices). Yes, the form factor for the A7 seems to put it more in the range of other mirrorless competitors from the likes of Panasonic and Olympus, but really, this seems to be more of a full frame DSLR in a mirrorless body.

The Nikon d600 is $2,096 with lens. (Going from Amazon, so we have a comparable pricing point.) Yes, the 610 was just announced, but if you check Nikon’s product list you’ll see that the 600 is still considered a current product. (And no, I wouldn’t buy a 600 either. Too high a risk of oil on the sensor for me.)

That said, I think the biggest issue I see for this is that the only E-mount full frame lenses currently scheduled to ship are expensive: $800 for the cheapest. (Yes, it’s Zeiss-produced, but it’s still always nice to have a lower-tier lens for the hobbyists. Particularly when the camera’s price puts it into “prosumer” level. And yes, you can use the crop E-mount lenses; but if you’re just using those then why are you buying a full-frame camera?)

Though I admit that my main reason for not being entirely impressed with it is actually that they appear to have removed their in-body image stabilization system and replaced it with an in-lens one. (Which tends to make the lenses bulkier & more expensive to produce, and means you don’t get the benefits of image stabilization with old glass.)

Ok, I guess I don’t really consider the D600 a current product, even if Nikon does :slight_smile: But yeah, the lenses for the A7 sure are super expensive (see also: micro four thirds… At least that was the case a year or 2 ago when I got out of that ecosystem). But I was talking strictly about the issue of the price of the camera itself. The lens availability is a whole other kettle of fish.

I guess if you want full frame in-body stabilisation, you’ll have to stick with the A99 though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.