Spooky music made by abusing turntables and cutting up and reforming vinyl records

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget that Saturday is http://recordstoreday.com/ !

Those poor needles!

2 Likes

I loved it, apart from the shattered/shredded pieced. The pieces with tone and distortion were eerie and hair-stand-up-on-endy, but the disks that were split up just added noise which began to grate after a few seconds. That said, I love what heā€™s doing.

1 Like

Excuse me, ā€œheā€? :smile:

Vinyl Terror and Horror Live

Itā€™s two women.

4 Likes

These constructions are clever, but for some really incredible vinyl/turntable abuse, you should seek out some Otomo Yoshihide. Or Christian Marklay. There is just tons of incredible misuse of turntable technology.

HA! By playing the LP upside-down, they are actually playing it backwards. Ingenious. Arguably that piece of music they are playing backwards is spooky sounding forwards too.

Dunno, maybe could do something really radical, like, maybeā€¦ splicing tape! Yeah, thatā€™s the ticket! (Pierre Henry? Whoā€™s he?)

The process here seems be more interesting than the results, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s interesting enough to make up for the paucity of interest of the results. The idea of a musical montage evocative of a mysterious past was doable in a fairly precise way with very old technology; see Vergangenes. (You donā€™t get much older than instruments that are blown, plucked, struck and scraped.) The idea of improvising such a montage to good effect with modern technology (a DAW, perhaps) is entirely doable; see much of Robert Frippā€™s output, such as When the Rains Fall.

This, however, has more in common with a Jean Tinguely sculpture, but maybe not as much fun for a crowd.

I am wary of work that relies on gimmicks. Schoenberg could and did write anything that suited him, tonal or atonal. Fripp can play damned near anything for guitar, with or without electronics. How far can these ladies take this before it palls? Can they make all of it work together to good effect? (No, I donā€™t think they have so far - the sound is at least as important as the method, and they havenā€™t nailed that.) Are there more effective ways of achieving what theyā€™re looking for?

Something to think about, perhaps.

1 Like

Would be perfect mood music for Bioshock: Ghost Story which, sadly, isnā€™t a thing (except in my mind ).

1 Like

When I was listening the video I immediately said ā€˜musique concreteā€™ too.

In the 1950 record players and acetate disc were use for these experiment because reliable tape tecorders were unavailable. Then the Melloton was invented. Then the Fairlight CMI was invented, and so on. Going back to gimmicks made because the technology of the time was limited without knowing what the current technology could do and worse of that what other composer made in the past I think itā€™s not interesting.
If you instead know what you do, you coul arrange a sonk like Delia Derbyskire has done (also listen to Howell arrangement made fith analogue synths and tapes for a more modern and different take)

If you like to just play or seriously compose with sounds like this I can recommend a software product called ā€œflowā€ by performer/composer/teacher Karlheinz Essl. It allows you to load up 4 different sample files and randomize the playback with several fun parameters. No records or turntables are harmed. Iā€™ve owned this software for 15 years and have always been impressed with itā€™s simplicity, interface, and moodiness. Mac only! http://www.essl.at/works/flow/download.html

That was totally spectacular; thanks.

Like throwing a baseball through a stained-glass window.

1 Like

This reminded me of several parts of the Yellow Submarine animated movie.

Unable to free up the required amount of studio space, I eagerly await the VST plugin.

I really like this it would totally fit right in with Phog Masheen at a festival.

This was spectacular!

Itā€™s nice to finally hear this. Iā€™d only previously seen this guyā€™s setup on the cover of ā€œLet It Bleed.ā€

1 Like

I approve of the experiment. Iā€™m underimpressed with the result; at best, this is ā€œlab notesā€ and the inventor needs to work more on (a) turning this into a playable instrument and (b) playing it interestingly.

Since others mentioned musique conrĆØte, Iā€™ll quote Edgard Varese: ā€œI do not write experimental music. My experimenting is done before I make the music. Afterwards it is the listener who must experiment.ā€.

Even Cage, despite his fondness for stochastic processes, didnā€™t publish until he had found a process that produced something he thought was worth hearing. Composition by subtraction and editing, is still composition. That could be applied here too: Record the somewhat-random results, then select, arrange, mix and balance the portions which work well together. Or, at the very least, note what worked well and what didnā€™t, and next time you try a live performance keep the former and discard the latter.

31:05ā€¦"ā€¦yeah, itā€™s real but is it interesting?"
"