Study finds nice people sometimes win

[Read the post]

Well, it sure would be nice to imagine that people are getting tired of being bossed around by dick-swinging egomaniacal wankers, but I’m not exactly gonna be holding my breath waiting for a paradigm shift to hit the zeitgeist in favour of a more collaborative and holistic approach.

9 Likes

Even if this article has a valid point, the rhetoric is so “creative” I can’t get through two paragraphs. Gandhi? Really? Satyagraha is feminine?

1 Like

I would rather work with people that are nice. I do what I do for the team and for the win. Often I see dicks are sociopaths in leadership positions who got there by screwing over everyone in their proximity. You need a strong and large culture of nice people deal with the dicks in the room.

8 Likes

Nice is definitely a better idea when dealing with cops.

Being nice can be a positive-sum game.

Just guard your side to not dip below zero for too long. Bitterness lies that way.

3 Likes

More like Ghandi? So a racist ego maniac.

1 Like

Define nice.

1 Like

Other study finds that some people aren’t as nice as you thought they were.

8 Likes

Hey folks, just popping in to this thread to wish you all a great day! I love you guys. You’re the best!

Use the “message” function here to contact me and I’ll send you a bitcoin donation link.

5 Likes

Your point is well made and hard to disagree with. That said, that’s one business-buzzword-heavy sentence.

You can’t let the wankers have any words they didn’t make up themselves.

2 Likes

In similar research, I found this Ted talk about high achievers running businesses to very enlightening: http://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_heffernan_why_it_s_time_to_forget_the_pecking_order_at_work

1 Like

I hope you are just being snarky :). But in case no…

Empathy
Golden rule
Unconditional kindness

I find it more likely that nice people are less likely to frame scenarios in win/lose terms.

1 Like

BINGO!

6 Likes

That’s pretty much exactly why I’m an anarchist.

1 Like

I think those attributes are ways to live peacefully, but not necessarily in the world of capital and commerce.

The kind of kindness described in the article are those of co-operation in planning and implementation in professional environments, where one need not like the people in your work group, but need to put aside emotions for the pay-off of success.

The article then degenerates into a gender screed where men are bad/wrong and women are good/ right, which helps nobody in business.

If this is snarky, then so be it, but it doesn’t change the fact that business is business.

1 Like

Yep. Business success demands that everyone involved be compensated.

Occasionally there are criminal acts, but that’s humans at work and play.

1 Like

I would argue (and not being snarky) cooperperation and planning are common emergent behaviors of the golden rule. But that is just my opinion, I have no studies to back it up. And the question I was attempting to answer was simply What Is Nice. (Pretty open ended, really)

1 Like