Psychopaths favor right-wing authoritarianism, finds study

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/24/psychopaths-favor-right-wing-authoritarianism-finds-study.html

10 Likes

47 Likes

So much so that they elected one President and enabled him for 4 years. :-/

30 Likes

tenor

36 Likes

ScarceNewDromaeosaur-small

29 Likes

ds9-quark-shocked

28 Likes

25 Likes

Seriously, though these studies are really important. The reason sociopaths tend toward success (by sociopathic standards) is because everyone else has an inherent trust of others. Trust, empathy and compassion are all learned practices and it is hard to raise and drop your guard for different people. It almost feels like a breach of the human compact to look at others cynically. Studies like this help highlight the telltale markers and behaviors that, over time, may help individuals and society steel themselves against these people without surrendering their own humanity.

ETA: Cannot get my Gif to stick, so insert Dr_Weknowdis.gif here.

26 Likes

I knew there was a reason I preferred coarse-ground people for my cooking and baking needs.

17 Likes

I’d argue it’s because we have a society built around rewarding psychopathic behavior.

44 Likes

Yeah, capitalism more or less requires it.

24 Likes

“Sadly, the GOP has rolled out the welcome mat for these very fine people.”

As the saying goes, Turds of a Feather, or something like that

4 Likes

Trying to avoid stereotypes, but as a child I was taught that girls favor pink, boys favor blue, and psychopaths favor mauve. Which is the color of your pain and suffering. Thanks Grandma.

Too Christmassy?

It was just the opposite a century ago.

4 Likes

I was never confused…

You’re so young!

1 Like

Aw, thanks, you can come again.

Actually thought I was old referencing Al Murray but hey, I’ll take it.

Psychopaths do not make up a majority of the population. They don’t make up the majority of the republican party. The puzzle really needs to be resolved, is how the psychopath minority manages to claw its way into power over the more healthy majority. From my cube farm work experience, I know it’s not just Trump.

7 Likes

It seems that have been a number of studies of psychopaths over the years. Suppose we can accurately diagnose these people. Then what do we do?

6 Likes

“Being a psychopath doesn’t automatically mean you’re a terrible person.”

Then proceeds to list all the ways psychopaths are terrible people.

6 Likes